HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Best state for turkeys? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/194607-best-state-turkeys.html)

Matchbook454 06-16-2007 04:27 PM

Best state for turkeys?

Just wondering which state you guys think is best for turkeys. MM, NE, KS, and TX look to me like they're probably the top 4. What do you guys think?

ironranger 06-16-2007 10:29 PM

RE: Best state for turkeys?

Guess it all depends on what a person's definition of "Best" is and that one probably varies for each of us. If I had the time and money I'd hunt every state that I could as I love hunting turkeys.

hootnscoot 06-16-2007 10:39 PM

Yea,

Gotta agree with IronRanger dependshow you define 'best'. My definition is any state that I'm standing inthe woods at 5:30AM in themorningbetween Mid March and the end of May is the best state for turkey hunting...........

I'm blessed to have hunted several states in the past 4 years, and would love to try to getto as many of them as possiblebefore itstime to go.

On the factual side Missouri leads the country in harvest every year but TX, WI, PA, areup there in the top 5 as well.

Where do you hunt? Do you get a crack at them at your homestate IL?

Dryridge 06-17-2007 12:52 AM

Not that I would want everyone to come here or anything....but I do feel that WV is underrated. I called in 48 male birds this spring. Took 2 and one was over 24#. Next spring we should have the woods ringing w/2yr olds as there were lots of jakes this spring.

msippiboy 06-17-2007 08:08 PM

mississippi is terrible. nobody come hunt here.

Arrowmaster 06-17-2007 09:09 PM

From my experience I would have to say Missouri. Ive hunted my home state of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, and yes Mississippi. Missouri has had the biggest population Ive seen. Ive taken 2 trips to Mississippi (northern region) and 2 to Kentucky. Nothing compares to Missouri hunting... Just my opinion...

drhntr178 06-17-2007 11:38 PM

I live in missouri and it is great but if I had to choose one state, South Dakota or Wyoming would be my pick. Nothing beats hunting the merriams up in the hills.

bigangrychicken 06-18-2007 08:49 AM

North Mo, Kansas, Oklahoma, West Tex, and Iowa are all awfully good. When you used to hunting the South, all of these areas seem like turkey heaven.

r33h 06-18-2007 10:22 AM

I think that all the books say Missouri is the place to go. I am here in Texas and I don't have any problems finding birds, although this last season was a little tougher than previous.

Mr. Longbeard 06-18-2007 05:49 PM

I would think Texas hands down