HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Best state for turkeys? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/194607-best-state-turkeys.html)

Matchbook454 06-16-2007 04:27 PM

Best state for turkeys?

Just wondering which state you guys think is best for turkeys. MM, NE, KS, and TX look to me like they're probably the top 4. What do you guys think?

ironranger 06-16-2007 10:29 PM

RE: Best state for turkeys?

Guess it all depends on what a person's definition of "Best" is and that one probably varies for each of us. If I had the time and money I'd hunt every state that I could as I love hunting turkeys.

hootnscoot 06-16-2007 10:39 PM

Yea,

Gotta agree with IronRanger dependshow you define 'best'. My definition is any state that I'm standing inthe woods at 5:30AM in themorningbetween Mid March and the end of May is the best state for turkey hunting...........

I'm blessed to have hunted several states in the past 4 years, and would love to try to getto as many of them as possiblebefore itstime to go.

On the factual side Missouri leads the country in harvest every year but TX, WI, PA, areup there in the top 5 as well.

Where do you hunt? Do you get a crack at them at your homestate IL?

Dryridge 06-17-2007 12:52 AM

Not that I would want everyone to come here or anything....but I do feel that WV is underrated. I called in 48 male birds this spring. Took 2 and one was over 24#. Next spring we should have the woods ringing w/2yr olds as there were lots of jakes this spring.

msippiboy 06-17-2007 08:08 PM

mississippi is terrible. nobody come hunt here.

Arrowmaster 06-17-2007 09:09 PM

From my experience I would have to say Missouri. Ive hunted my home state of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, and yes Mississippi. Missouri has had the biggest population Ive seen. Ive taken 2 trips to Mississippi (northern region) and 2 to Kentucky. Nothing compares to Missouri hunting... Just my opinion...

drhntr178 06-17-2007 11:38 PM

I live in missouri and it is great but if I had to choose one state, South Dakota or Wyoming would be my pick. Nothing beats hunting the merriams up in the hills.

bigangrychicken 06-18-2007 08:49 AM

North Mo, Kansas, Oklahoma, West Tex, and Iowa are all awfully good. When you used to hunting the South, all of these areas seem like turkey heaven.

r33h 06-18-2007 10:22 AM

I think that all the books say Missouri is the place to go. I am here in Texas and I don't have any problems finding birds, although this last season was a little tougher than previous.

Mr. Longbeard 06-18-2007 05:49 PM

I would think Texas hands down

younggun308 06-19-2007 01:51 AM

I would say Missouri is very popular, but Tennessee-Alabama border is very underrated, wehunt in Fayateville, TN, had a good amount of gobblers.

I would like to go to those other placesyouguy were talking about, though.

camelcluch 06-19-2007 10:23 AM

It may not be the best but maybe the most under rated state, Cali.So. Cal. to be exact. San Diego has a great number of birds on public landand some great options todo a combo hunt.

younggun308 06-19-2007 11:02 AM

California? Turkeys? That's like saying Cheney is gay.:D

pabirdhunter 06-19-2007 12:46 PM

I think we've got some great turkey hunting here in PA. As someone said previously, anywhere I am during any turkey season is great for me.

OkieArcher 06-19-2007 02:48 PM

Well I got a turkey that scored 80.75 this year so I would have to say OKLAHOMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooker 06-19-2007 03:35 PM

I have heard Missouri is good, but I know there are some places in Texas with ungodly amounts of turkeys. I wish Texas would share some of those birds with Louisiana.

daleh 06-19-2007 03:43 PM

Virgina has allot, so much that they have a spring and a fall season. You can even use dogs to hunt em.

msippiboy 06-19-2007 07:21 PM

good to see that so many states have good birds

mauser06 06-19-2007 08:16 PM

PA has the numbers...thats for sure. (well atleast in most of the western part of the state) but we also go the hunter numbers, hen numbers, predators, later season etc etc etc.....so our spring season can turn out to be hit or miss. one day they can be goin bonkers and the next you would think there wasnt a bird in the state...good private land is hard to get access too, but thats almost the way to go...public land can be good...but your legs will be tired or you got lucky if you score most of the time..i love the state....but it can get frustrating at times to be a spring turkey hunter...

Arrowmaster 06-19-2007 09:07 PM

Younggun38 come on up to northern Missouri and hunt Grand River outfitters with me and Don will put you on some nice gobblers. I have never seen and heard so many turkeys. Ive hunted with Don for 5 years now and you can bet I'll go back every year. Just an awesome hunt. I always look foward to hunting there. Heck come on over to Indiana and we'll work some birds...

ICALL2MUCH 06-19-2007 10:31 PM

Numbers wise, Missouri and Texas!

monsterbucks2011 06-20-2007 03:05 PM

i live in missouri and i think the hunting is amazing.

jghoffman12 06-21-2007 02:29 PM

any state with a turkey season is great but i'm biased toward KS. incredible number ofbirds and you can hunt them all day and harvest 2 gobblers in the spring and 4 in the fall. very little pressure and plenty of land to hunt. as far as an experience, nothing beats a merriams in the SD black hills!

mohunter82 06-24-2007 10:45 AM

Well being from missouri of course i'm gonna be partial to it. But as everone else said number wise its missouri. Missouri density is number one in the us with only texas coming close at it is still only half of Mo. Also missouri can lay claim to some of the best trophy gobbler hunting. Out of the top 20 birds in the us missouri claims 9 of them.with and average score of 171.69. My bird this year was a 22 lb triple bearded monster that was running with a double beard tom. all on 100 acres and not including those 2 birds there was 5 others gobbling. Oh and just to let you know all these facts came from NWTF.

wis_rifle_hunter 06-24-2007 01:34 PM

I'd have to say Wisconsin is the best place for turkeys.

[/align]

mohunter82 06-24-2007 02:31 PM

i agree wisconsin is great. they are number 2 in the top 20 with 3 toms in the ranking. But for over all success it would be a pretty tight race.

Matchbook454 06-24-2007 05:46 PM

On my way up to Manitoba last month I drove through N.IL, WI, MN, and ND and only saw turkeys in WI and a lot of them at that. There sure seems to be a lot of them up there. Never heard of it ranking as one of the top states though, but then again I haven't paid much attention to turkey hunting until this past spring.

TEmbry 06-25-2007 03:27 PM

ive only hunted in alabama and kentucky and since ive killed a gobbler in both, id have to stick withthose two as my top two;), lol. my dream states to hunt have to be texas rios, nebraska merriams, obviously florida for osceolas, missouri for eastern, mexico for goulds and ocellated.

I plan on once i get older, making a tour of as many different states as i can, similar to what deeg has already accomplished. this coming up spring, ill be hitting up tennessee, ky, and maybe mississippi or one of the carolinas if nothing changes.

CamoCop 06-28-2007 04:01 AM

no votes for Florida? i've killed Easterns and Osceola's here

okgobbler 06-28-2007 04:54 PM

I guess I'm biased because I'm from OK and only hunted OK, but we do have 3 of the 4 sub-species of turkeys. Rios throughout with the best populations in the west. Easterns along the mountainous tree covered missouri and arkansas borders and a few meriums in the panhandle.

huntnma 06-29-2007 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

no votes for Florida? i've killed Easterns and Osceola's here
thats only because i hadnt seen the thread, lol........

wvOHIOfan 07-03-2007 04:04 PM

I love my homestate of WV but I've never experienced as muchgobbling and as many birds here like I did in Texas.

Texas = WOW