Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 turkey hunters in NY and NJ >

turkey hunters in NY and NJ

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey hunters in NY and NJ

Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default turkey hunters in NY and NJ

I just made a trip up from VA to visit my grandma at her lake house in the catskills of NY. I saw a ton of turkeys and a few deer, but NY and NJ are so depressing and desolate except for the big cities. Where abouts are yall hunters from, what do you do for a living, and how would you judge the wildlife in these parts?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: turkey hunters in NY and NJ

I wouldn't say that NJ or NY is depressing. I don't hunt in NY but there areplaces that I hunt in NJ that would remind you of just about any southern state you care to mention, (well, maybe except Texas. But then again, Texas isn't a state, it's a country!) NJ has some really good hunting and a very generous bag limit on just about anything you want to hunt. But then again, I should be able to kill as many things as I want tosince myproperty taxesare so high!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Spike

I live in southern Dutchess county and within an hour's drive of my house, you can find some of the best hunting and fishing in the state. With that being said, Simp is right in that we certainly pay for it with our taxes!
I can stay in Dutchess county to hunt pheasant, turkey and deer in an assortment of terrain; open fields to classic hardwoods.I also go to Orange county to hunt pheasant and turkeysin some farmlandsand drive down to Putnam and northern Westchester (archery only) to find some of the biggest bucks around in classic hardwoods as well as small suburban lots.
Plenty of public land is available, but you have to work to be successful. I have secured myself some private properties by asking around at work and through non-huntingfriends.
By the way, I am a HS Math teacher in Westchester county sothere are many days when I can go to public land and have it all to myself becausethe school is closed forholidays that most people don't have off, such as Jewish holidays, Columbus day& Veterans day.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

The only thing that sucks about new york is new york city and long island!

I work for a lawn and forest supplier in CNY (Gksales.net) we handle alot of logging equipment....

I live right in between the snow belt of tug hill/adks and the southern hills of the southern tier in NY, the only thing missing are massive mountains, we have a few...

Turkeys are abundant and as are the deer if you know where to go. Bear/Moose are all plentiful if in the ADKs, and we have some of the best salmon fishing in the northeast. Both atlantic and pacific.

I wont ever leave ny...unless alaska is calling my name
Old 06-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDManiac

The only thing that sucks about New York State, is New York city and Long Island!!
DITTO!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

depressing and desolate EXCEPT for the big cities ?????

Man, I'd say the reverse. You like the big cities????

Being in Ont I have bordered NY state from the east part of our province and now the southwest. I love driving through NY State. Beautiful countryside and it really does have quite a bit of everything depending on where you go.

Without a doubt the most turkeys I spotted on my way to Ohio this year was travelling across northern NY.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: maytom

ORIGINAL: MDManiac

The only thing that sucks about New York State, is New York city and Long Island!!
DITTO!!!
Make that 3 of us... I live in northern Rockland County, and thats where I do most of my bowhunting and turkey hunting. However I belong to a hunting camp in Delaware County, where the deer hunting is pretty bad do to mismanagement, but turkeys are real strong. The trout fishing is awesome up there too. We border the Pepacton Res. which this year has supplied 5trout over 5 lbs. for our camp. To me NY is an awesome place, minus LI and NYC.