Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Call shy bird, any ideas?!? >

Call shy bird, any ideas?!?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Call shy bird, any ideas?!?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Call shy bird, any ideas?!?

Well I have hunted this same bird all month. Hes pretty call shy now. I'm not gunna post the whole story and all the details I'm sure you guys dont wanna hear it. But my question is........ when hes on roost, he wont gobble to my owl hoot anymore. Any other suggestions to make him give up his location. I'm in northern NY if that helps things. Thanks alot! Please! I NEED your advice, headed out in the morning.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Call shy bird, any ideas?!?

Do you have a coyote howl call? Maybe try a crow call. Or try a gobble of your own. Good Luck
Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even a loud whistle can make him shock gobble. I would leave the owl call at home and bring a different noise to make him shock gobble.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I would gobble at him.....

JW
Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're ready to set up in a hurry, try some LOUD yelps on a box call. When he gives himself up, just an occasional series of soft clucks and someleaf scratching might bring him in.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is he patternable? If so, I would suggest hunting him like deer and take a stand and cut him off on his normal daily routines. That's how I bagged my biggest bird to date last year... I had an idea what he was doing and just set up where I thought he'd be coming and he just appeared... Made one call first light... just a fly down call by the edge of a field I knew he'd make his way to eventually.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

I would deffinatly not use the owl hoot anymore. He has probably learned to avoid that call. I would try either a crow call or even another gobble call as suggested before. Also, once he gobbles, dont start any agressive calling. Just the occasional soft cluck or purr. If hes really that call shy, then hes already heard the agressive stuff and will most likely hold up out of range if he pays any attention to the calls at all. Also, I assume its just as thick in NY as it is here in PA, so sit yourself down under some good cover and be ready to shoot as soon as you see him. By the time he comes into view, he could already be right on top of you.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that aftera month of chasing one gobbler you would have made him unkillable... I think that I would spend the rest of my season trying to locate another gobbler
Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I quit using owl calls in the early morning...I'd rather go in and listen to them gobble on their own, get a idea of where he is and get into position...I know its
too late for him but here is what has worked for me...1) Sleep in...don't go until about 10:00 and hunt until 2 or all day, if possible, by now I would guess he has the hens patterned (or vice versa), let him do his thing and pick him up either near where the hens take him, or near his roosting area...2) If youdo go early and locate him in the early morning, call once, if he answers, don't dare call again...Rustle some leaves like a feeding hen, but don't pick up the call...And don't put out a decoy, make him move around to find you...It might take him an hour to come in, but if another hen doesn't pick him up first, he'll come in...
Old 05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

id try a few soft yelps...works pretty good for me.

Quick Reply: Call shy bird, any ideas?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.