Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Great hunt, sad ending.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Great hunt, sad ending.

Any of you that have read my posts know that I am hunting with 3 of my 4 daughters. My 4th daughter who is 4 has been asking to go so, I finally said OK. I decided to wait until about 7:30 in the evening and I was taking her to the fields edge where I have seen a lot of deer. I figured she would be happy seeing some deer and coming home. We walk to the blind I have set up, gun in hand but, not loaded. Haven't been seeing any turkeys so why load the gun. I get her in the blind and set up the decoys. She's really excited being out here and tells her "Daddy" to make turkey calls. I look up and 150 yards out stands a beautiful gray phase Tom with a 8"-10" beard. I tell my daughter she is my good luck charm and she smiles as we watch this beautiful bird strut for a single hen for about 15 minutes. I throw a single shell in the gun and begin single clucks to see if I can get his attention. Sure enough, he hears and then he sees the deeks set up. He is thundering away gobbling and never once broke full strut as he worked his way across that field. My daughter is in amazement. She says, quietly, "I'll help you call him Daddy" Then she does her best mouth impression of a screaming peacock. I quickly cup my hand over her mouth as the Tom is a bit confused now but, dedicated to the deeks. He thunders away as he closes, my daughter's mouth is wide open. He's only 40 yards out now, full strut, gobbling and closing in. I get the gun up, tell her to be quiet and sit back. The Tom is 15 yards away and thundering, hearts pounding as I squeeze the trigger. Feathers fly everywhere and he flips totally over himself. He starts flopping and then kind of reagains himself. I rack another shell, ugh, I only put one shell in the gun. My first Tom, my daughters first hunt, ends in watching this magnificent animal flop into a nasty flooded swamp that is 6'-8' deep and flail about in the water 20-30 yards in. I have no way to get this bird, ecspecially with my 4 year old with me. We watched as this bird breathed it's last breath and my heart filled with sorrow for this animal I feel I have betrayed by not putting a better shot on.

My daughter says it is OK as she hands me a handful of beautiful feathers she has picked up from the ground. I have now put one in my wallet as a memory of this hunt.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me what and why until this morning. Somehow, my own idiotness, I had a load in my vest that was intended for my daughter's to shoot. All the practice, all the testing to find 2 loads, one for me, one for them, that would pattern well. When I shoot the girl's load I am low to right. When they shoot it they pattern it well.

I apologize for disrespecting that beautiful bird that way but, what is done is done and I'll never make that rookie mistake again..........
Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Great hunt, sad ending.

yah they are tough birds... next time make a sharp put and i will almost promise you that he will stick that big red hed right up in the air. You could have swam for it lol
Old 05-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey BullRider115

I'm glad to hear you and your daughter had a great time hunting , it had to be pretty exciting to see that tom in full strut at such close range.
Too bad it had to filp flop into the swamp like that where you couldn't recover it , but things happen like that sometimes.
Now that you got the first time jitters out of your system , you should be able get one the next time around , you still got about four to five day's left.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

I dont want to sound like an turd, but you should have been prepared. Thats seems like it happens when you least expect it, but had you had your gun loaded with your shells, im sure it would have been a different outcome. I just hate to see a bird not get recovered. I would have went in the swamp after it. Im glad you and your daughter had a good time.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster
I just hate to see a bird not get recovered. I would have went in the swamp after it.
[/quote
I know BullRider115 and he would have tried to recover it if he could have , but if you had read in his post he stated that the swamp is 6 to 8 feet deep and the bird was too far into in the water for him to reach.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

I assure all of you, had I not had my 4 year old with me...... I would have been swimming. I have done it for deer and this would have been no different. My first concern was my daughter's safety and knowing her, she would have been in right after me.

As far as being prepared, I agree with you. I WAS NOT prepared. Not an exscuse but, element of surprise, first time turkey hunter and first bird within range.... etc. etc. etc. Add to it the pure rush of excitement, I made a mistake and I own it.......... I never thought in a million years taking my 4 year old in the woods would result in a beautiful bird strutting at 15 yards out. I am truly sorry for what happened and I can assure you, and the next turkey in range, it will be clean, fully prepared and organized.......

RD, permission granted on the property. I'll talk to you soon, time to start getting ready for deer!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said in the previous post I wasnt trying to be an turd. I just feel if your hunting, your hunting. Be ready from the get go. When I have a young one hunting with me Im always prepared from the get go. I understand you had your 4 year old daughter with you and that in itself would be a challenge. A mistake is a mistake. Things happen and sometimes its beyond our control. I really wish I could be seeing a picture of you and your daughter posing with a turkey. Im not mad that you didnt retrive your first bird or over your hunt. Like I said things happen beyond our control. I just hate seeing a bird not recovered. Thats all... Am I disappointed with you, heck no... Im glad to see you passing on the knowledge to the younger generation...
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BullRider115

As far as being prepared, I agree with you. I WAS NOT prepared. Not an exscuse but, element of surprise, first time turkey hunter and first bird within range.... etc. etc. etc. Add to it the pure rush of excitement, I made a mistake and I own it.......... I never thought in a million years taking my 4 year old in the woods would result in a beautiful bird strutting at 15 yards out. I am truly sorry for what happened and I can assure you, and the next turkey in range, it will be clean, fully prepared and organized.......
Very classy statement with no excuses much appreciated Bullrider115..Most all us here have made similar uneducated mistakes but most are unwilling to admit them.I do truley believe a major part of being consistently succesful year in and year out in the turkey woods is understanding coupled with preperation.Thats where alot of the fun lies too,unfortunately though,you do hit a few bumps along the way!!!!Good luck to you and your precious in years to come!!!Bob....
Old 05-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sorry to hear about the misfortune but lesson learned. Regardless if it went well or ill, you opened up a new world of hunting for the kids and that always positive no matter what
Old 05-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way to come back and get the bird... Did he sink in the awamp???

Quick Reply: Great hunt, sad ending.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.