Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Tracks

Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Turkey Tracks

I was scouting one of my turkey hunting areas last week just looking for signs that there might be some birds around. I didnt find any feathers, but saw a lot of tracks.So my question is, isit possible to tell a turkeys ageby the size of its track? Or for that matter, is it possible to know anything about the turkey by looking at its track, besides the fact that he came through the area?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Turkey Tracks

The popular rumor that ive heard is if the middle toe is 2.5 inches or more its a gobbler.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM

If you would like to know more about the turkey, couldn't you look at his droppings, if they left some. I think you can tell if they are healthy or not... not quite sure. Can somebody shed some light on this?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

im not sure exactly but i do know there is a way to tell sex by its shape, just not sure how lol

Old 05-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

I know theres a way that you can tell the difference from jake droppings. I believe they are in the shape of a "J"? Anyway, I was very surprised not to find any feathers, droppings, or wing marks (from struting). There were only tracks. I found one track that was fairly large, Id say the middle toe was around 3", but the rain washed it away the next day. I sat at this location all morning (being that it was the only place where there was turkey sign) but didnt see a thing.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

gobbler droppings are j shaped. Hens are rounded. Gobbler tracks are substantially larger than hens. Its not hard at all to distinguish gender by the track. What else can you gather from a turkey track? Well that he was there and which way he headed.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hatracked

gobbler droppings are j shaped. Hens are rounded. Gobbler tracks are substantially larger than hens. Its not hard at all to distinguish gender by the track. What else can you gather from a turkey track? Well that he was there and which way he headed.
Well said...mostly sums up what I was going to write. The direction is really key because it lets you know which way they are going...and if you can somehow narrow down that the track was created in the am or pm, that could also give you an idea of where they are roosting. The more you can go out and scout, the better...
Old 05-27-2007, 04:58 AM
JW
Super Moderator

If the birds are suffering from a case of Lock Jaw! That is little to no gobbling and I found a place with rather fresh turkey tracks - guess where I would set up?

Wait it out and they will come!

JW
Old 05-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

A gobblers middle toe on average will measure better than 3 inch's often times more than 4'!Heres a good link I think will help ya..look for those strut marks amongst those tracks...
http://www.bowhunting.net/wildturkey.net/Articles/NWTF-2003-Scouting2.html
Old 05-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

If the birds are suffering from a case of Lock Jaw! That is little to no gobbling and I found a place with rather fresh turkey tracks - guess where I would set up?

Wait it out and they will come!

JW
Tried....

I cant explian why there not gobblin. Ive had great luck there the past few yearsbut this year theyre just not talkin. Unfortunatly the season ended last sat. in PA.