Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

ground blind question

Old 05-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default ground blind question

Has anyone shot a shotgun for turkey through the shoot thru mesh on a ground blind? I did on the last day of my hunt and missed a bird at about 10 - 15 yards away. I am thinking it was because of the mesh window? I have never missed a bird with this gun before and have shot many at this distance without the blind and the only thing I can think of is that it made my shot stray somehow?
My brother said he did the same thing and also missed a bird he shot attrying to shoot thru the mesh material.
Anyone else ever have this experience?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Default RE: ground blind question

There should be a warning somewhere on the inside of your blind telling you not to shoot through the mesh with a firearm.

The mesh is there for archers.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:33 AM

We have take 21 toms this season in blinds. All but 2 were aced through the mesh. It has not affected the shots a bit. Shots were as close as 10 yarda dn several in the 45 yards range. I am using an amerastep blind. Mabey other meshed are not good, but this one had been great.

I take a lot of kids and the mesh has been a god send. My son also took a om through the mesh in a double bull. He was shaking something bad. The bird is dead, but mabey he just got lucky on that one. But for the most part I think the mesh is fine to shoot through. If an arrow is mot affected, not sure why it would bother a shotgun shell. But I learn new things every day.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know it hurts, butYOU have to admit that YOU SCREWED UP! It happens, people miss, nobody is perfect.

I assure you that the mesh has absolutely NO EFFECT on any firearm! We've got atleast 8 birds through our Matrix with no problems. The only problem is the softball sized hole you blow in it!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I know it isn't good to shoot thru the mesh. I have had many blinds including the ones mention here and they will tell you never shoot thru the mesh. It's not that it will effect the shot but it can catch on fire. I wouldn't shoot thru it. We leave the screan cracked about 10 inches and have shot many turkeys from differant blinds. On all blinds that I've had there is a warning not to shoot thru with a firearm.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ccobbett

We have take 21 toms this season in blinds. All but 2 were aced through the mesh. It has not affected the shots a bit. Shots were as close as 10 yarda dn several in the 45 yards range. I am using an amerastep blind. Mabey other meshed are not good, but this one had been great.

I take a lot of kids and the mesh has been a god send. My son also took a om through the mesh in a double bull. He was shaking something bad. The bird is dead, but mabey he just got lucky on that one. But for the most part I think the mesh is fine to shoot through. If an arrow is mot affected, not sure why it would bother a shotgun shell. But I learn new things every day.
I think it has more to do with a fire hazard.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:35 AM

I hadn't even thought about that. Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is that you pattern is pretty tight at 10 yards and you simply missed the bird. Not a big deal, everyone misses once in while. Just get them next time.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with zubba, you had a very tight pattern at that range, and you missed. That netting isn't going to disrupt the pattern enough at that range to keep you from killing a turkey.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zubba

My guess is that you pattern is pretty tight at 10 yards and you simply missed the bird. Not a big deal, everyone misses once in while. Just get them next time.
Yep. No shame in missing one that close. Every bird I have ever missed has been 15 yards or tighter.

Quick Reply: ground blind question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.