Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

[Deleted]

Old 01-16-2002, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is this ethical?

Three years ago me and a friend were set up on a Tom on a public land spot. It was an overcast morning and the Tom was slow to come down.At 42 minutes after sunrise a shot rang out , shot hit the woods all around us, and the Tom flopped from the roost to the ground. Someone had heard him gobbling , stalked in on him and capped him right outa the tree. Needless to say I was irate.We ran down to the tom and the piece of garbage that had shot him.I informed him that not only was he an unethical and unsafe hunter but he was soon going to be meeting the game warden.We rushed out got his liscense tag number and proceeded to call the game warden.

To my total shock heres what I found out about SC law concerning roost shooting.You can legally shoot a tom in a tree 30 minutes after official sunrise up until 30 minutes before official sunrise.Being that it was 42 minutes after official sunrise the guy hadnt broken a single law.

I totally disagree with tree shooting any turkey, I got over needing to kill a bird a long time ago, I go now to play the game. If I just wanted turkey for the freezer Id buy a butterball.However, that is my set of morals and ethics not someone elses and until the day comes where SC changes the law I cant say a thing about the folks that do shoot them out of the trees. I wish it didnt happen but it legally occurs here.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:07 PM

I don't know if it's legal or illegal here in georgia, but it should be illegal in the entire U.S.A. if you ask me, but that's just my opinion. theres no sport to it at all!
Old 01-16-2002, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO ITS NOT ETHICAL, I WOULDN'T DO IT EVEN IF IT WASLEGAL IN MY STATE, WHAT IS THE POINT OF IT.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its legal but I wouldn't do it . I guess everyone has thier own ideas about what turkey hunting is all about .
Old 01-17-2002, 06:17 AM

I think it is pretty unethical, and in most states it is illegal. I don't know about Georgia.

Ryan Tucker

Old 01-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illegal in CT...

However, to start a good debate...

How much of a difference is there in shooting a roosting bird compared to setting up 20 yards from a feeder station??

None in my opinion, but up here in the Northeast, baiting is also illegal....

Strut
Old 01-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unethical in my book.
Visit My Hunting Page

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.