Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 When do you let go of it? >

When do you let go of it?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

When do you let go of it?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When do you let go of it?

I was reading an article in a turkey hunting magazine last night about letting go of the turkey season. My season ended on April 22, but I can't completely let go just yet. I find myself still reading turkey mags, reading through my journals, and going to my land and watching and listening to that SOB that eluded me the entire season. The author wrote that he can't let go until August. That's a little late for me. By then I am preparing for the upcoming bow season. I usually let go in June. In fact, I am going to a turkey banquet June 8th. May and June are my favorite fishing months, so that helps keep my mind off turkeys. I believe turkey season is the hardest of all seasons to let go of because of the short time we have to chase them. I'm already planning a return trip to Texas next year. It's been a couple of years since I've been hunting there, so it's about time to go back. How long does it take you to let go of the seasonand when do you start up again? Right after duck season is over is when I start getting fired up for turkeys, which is the end of January.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default RE: When do you let go of it?

I usually start preparing for bow season come July, so that helps me get over the turkeys till about January when bow season ends. Then its back to obsessing over my calls and feverishly scouting for turkeys.

But I must admit sometimes when I am sitting on my climber, 35 ft up a pine with the cold wind cutting right through me, I find myself wishing it was a cool spring morning and I was listening to a gobbler sound off in the distance.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm very similiar. My season ends May 20th, but I usually don't let go of it until the middle of June. Then my attention goes towards summer archery league, 3D tourneys, and fishing. Towards the end of summer, my mind goes 99% bowhunting deer. Towards the end of December, my mind starts thinking turkeys again. I wish chasing those birds wasn't so addicting.

My name is Kurt, and I have a Turkey Hunting Addiction.......it already feels better taking the first step.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to get my mind off of it, although it is hard, and go out and start working on stands, fine tuning my bow and things like that for deer season. There is always something to do...
Old 05-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

My season ends, tomorrow.....and you can bet your ass I'll be over it before I get to the house, tomorrow night!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My season ends, tomorrow.....and you can bet your ass I'll be over it before I get to the house, tomorrow night!
I assume things didn't go as planned?!?!?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I assume things didn't go as planned?!?!?
Do they EVER when you're chasing these freaks???[&:]
Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I am usually glad to finish so I can get a full night sleep again. Day after day wears you out.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do they EVER when you're chasing these freaks???[&:]
Good point. Although you have to admit, you may be physically tired at the end of your season, butyou can't be tired of hearing those birds gobble in the morning. Or a little part of you will have to miss that.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Gobblingand an elk bugle are the best sounds that nature can offer. I never get tired of hearing it. I do get tired chasing them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.