Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 berretta extrema patterning >

berretta extrema patterning

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

berretta extrema patterning

Old 05-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default berretta extrema patterning

we cant get the thing to pattern if you have had any experience with choke/ shot experience let me know

who else agrees that a constriction can be too tight such as a .660 with 31/2 inch shot ?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: berretta extrema patterning

Absolutely it can be too tight. Especially if you are shooting a high density shot like Hevi-shot, hevi 13, fed heay weight or Win Elite HD.

What kind of choke are you using? What sort of shells have you tried? What distances are you shooting? What are your patterns doing?

I might be able to help out, but I need some more information.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found that my berretta a391 shoots the factory choke excellently. I bought a superfull choke or whatever its called and it patterned so tight that I missed two birds one after another because it was so tight! Like swampcollie said more info would be good.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

More shot in the shell does not mean more shot in the pattern...

I shoot a 3 inch Browning B-80...With a .640 Hastings...

With 2 ounce loads I have holes...I moved down to a 1 7/8 Remington Nitro and the holes dissappeared and get good dense patterns...

I would drop down to a 3 inch shell...Start with 2 ounce loads but don't be afraid to go to 1 7/8 ounce loads as well...

The 3.5 shell was developed for steel shot and waterfoul hunting, they are not always the best for heavy turkey loads...The theory is that because of the longer shot column the shot in front actually holds back the shot in the back, which actually pushes into the shot on top and blows a hole in the pattern...

I'm not saying that you can't find a 3.5 inch shell that will pattern, but I do know several guys that have 3.5 inch guns that have gone to 3 inch shells for turkeys...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot a rhino .670 choke and nitro 3 1/2 shells and it is a devastating combo. I did have my barrell polished, ported, and forcing cone lengthened though. this could be the difference.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

jeeze weve tried everything.. its a rhino .660 most 31/2 inch hv winchesters,31/2 federal mag shocks,hevi shot i think.. and the remington version of it but the best was rem. nitro 3 inch (8.99 a box) which my dad crushed a bird with it last year

this year rolls around...2 missed birds under 30...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take it a "rhino" is a turkey choke? Have you tried your factory full choke if you have it?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

yes rhino is a choke. the one I shoot is like th jelly head. You might consider having the barrell polished, ported, and forcing cone lengthened or trading the gun off. Last option would be to send it to one of the companies that will work up a load, choke combo for your gun and be able to gunsmith on it at the same time. My extrema 2 performs great and I would not trade it for anything. I had those above mentioned mods done and shooting a 3 1/2 inch shell has the same recoil a heavy 2 3/4 does. I ain't scared to pull the trigger on it.