Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Longest shot ever?? Whats ur's?? >

Longest shot ever?? Whats ur's??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Longest shot ever?? Whats ur's??

Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Longest shot ever?? Whats ur's??

My buddy and I were hunting this morning...... long story short, a jake came into the field that we had been set up on for a couple hrs. My buddy said, "its just a jake, want me see what my gun has?" Usually I would say no in fear of spooking birds in the surrounding area.... but its the last day we could hunt there. So he ended up shooting, and much to my surprise he dropped the bird! This may not seem like a big deal, but we paced it off and he shot 77yrds. Yes, 77yrds!! He shoots a Mossberg 535 with 3 1/2in. magnums. This got me thinking..... whats your longest shot on a turkey that you ended up killing??
-Personally, mine is 52 yrds. and he was running wide open accrossed a field. I am quite proud of that shot.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Longest shot ever?? Whats Ur's??

Most on here are turkey hunters and not turkey shooters. Many on here spend many hours practicing with box calls and mouth calls to bring the tom inas close as possible, 20-30yds. When a turkey hunter can do this, he can take the bird with 20ga and 2-3/4 ammo.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I am also a ver succesful turkey HUNTER not SHOOTER! There isusually that one special occation in evryones hunting career when not everything goes right and thye have to reach out and touch the bird. I'm not recommending shooting long range at birds (as I dont) I was just curious as to how far some of you have been able to take a bird. That wouldnt come in or under some other circumstance.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your buddy is not very smart. His statement of "just a jake" disturbs me. Even a jake is a wonderful bird and deserves respect. Shooting at "just a jake" to see if my gun can do it at that distance is not very smart. Sure that was a heck of a "lucky" shot, but he should have never taken it.He was very lucky he didn't wound the bird. Oh, I forgot, it's okay to take a chance on wounding him, after all, he is"just a jake".I bet he didn't pattern his gun at 77 yards. I'm guessing if ithad been a longbeard he wouldn't have taken that risk. It shouldn't matter though. I've killed a couple at 50 yards, but I know for a fact my gun and load is fully capable of killing one cleanly at that distance. I'm not saying you and your buddy are unethical hunters, but this was an unethical decision on your buddy's part. Sorry for theserman. Just my opinion.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The farthest shot I have taken was probably around 40-45 yards....

Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Longest shot ever?? Whats ur's??

I killed a bird in Texas at 56 yards. I knew it was around 50 yards or so, and was confident my gun could do it. It was my first Rio, and I was 19 years old. My gun can acctually get it done reliably, everytime out to 60.

But, I turkey hunt because I like to hunt. If I just wanted to kill birds I could sit on the edge of a field with a .17 and shoot crows in the beans. I limit myself to 40 yards personally.

The real ? here is what is everyones CLOSEST SHOT ever? The close ones are harder than the far ones. I killed a bird at 12 yards three years ago, and the other three birds I have tried inside 15 yards....missed all three of 'em!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have patterend my gun and I am confident out to 50 yards with it. The longest distance I have ever shot a turkey was about 40 yards away.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

closest shot was 8 yards..

Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

I shot my first bird at 50 yds with my 870 and 3" whinchester supremes and I shot this years bird at 40 yards. Three years ago i shot at a jake at 60 yards, I knocked him down then he flew away. I guess he was a little too far for my gun.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

My farthest shot that killed the bird is probably just over 30 yards. This season I took a shot at a nice gobbler at around 50 yardsand missed it, so I will probably stickonly shooting at distances under 35-40 yards tops.

Quick Reply: Longest shot ever?? Whats ur's??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.