Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 "First" bird.....and current "standards" >

"First" bird.....and current "standards"

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

"First" bird.....and current "standards"

Old 05-01-2007, 05:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "First" bird.....and current "standards"

What was your FIRST bird taken? Have you changed your "standards" since you began turkey hunting?

Also....what's your most "unique" bird taken?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "First" bird.....and current "standards"

My first bird was a Jake. I have only changed my standards a little. I wouldn't take a Jake opening morning, but if the season started dwindling down, I would gladly fill my tag with a Jake.

The most unique bird I've taken was a 3 bearded Tom. 10.5" - 6.5" - 4.5" beards.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first turkey (or should I say turkies) I ever shot were three hens in one shot during the fall season. I was so excited to get them so close that I picked the closest one and shot...two more fell down behind.

If my first gobbler was to set standards....I don't think I would ever shoot another turkey! My first gobbler was 27 lbs, had two beards (one was 10.25" and the second was 6.5"), and both spurs were 1.625" long. When I took it to the taxidermist, he said he hadn't ever seen a gobbler that big and he has been doing taxidermy for a living since the early 70s. He also took a pic of my mount after he was finished and put it in his portfolio.

I would have to say my most unique one would be my big gobbler with the two beards.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

my first bird was a 2yr old. i think the beard was close to 9 and the spurs were 3/4" each.

my second was bigger. i knew he was a longbeard and sent lead downrange...i think the beard was 10" and the spurs were atleast an inch. i know they were sharp and starting to hook. i left them in borax and mice TOOK them!! i never did find them[:@]

also got a couple fall hens to my name...

i never really set standards...but if you look at my history, i passed many jake birds...then again i passed probably more longbeards than jakes...just due to not liking the shots, or watching them strut and put on the show and never taking a shot. i could honestly killed atleast 1 bird every year of the 9 i been chasin them...but only killed 2 in the spring..only fired 2 shells in the spring.

i'll most likely continue my longbeard only trend..i mean, if i get an exciting awesome hunt from a jake and it feels right i'll most likely take him...but most jakes are suicidale and run to the gun. one opener i had one brush my pant leg...he was an honest couple of inches from the barrel. didnt want the jake...first day or last, he just came RUNNING to the call..never gobbled or nothing...meanwhile theres a big longbeard gobbling and strutting at 40yds i was watchin and enjoyin the show before i touched the trigger...

my most enjoyable and memorable hunts are the ones like that...youll hear me tell stories like that more often than the stories of how i killed birds..
Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first bird was a 16.5 lb jake. It was my first time turkey hunting and I worked him for well over an hour and a half. I called him across a road and up a ridge. He came in strutting and I shot him at about 30 yards. He had a 3" beard or something small like that... One of the funnesthunts of my life...

Nothing too unique.
Last year I shot my best. 2 good one's this year so far though...

Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

My first turkey kill was actually two hens in one shot in the fall. My first Tom kill was a 22lb, 61/2 in beard, 1/4 spurs. My standards have changed in this sense...... I wont take a jake unless it it just about time for the season to end, then I will. And my most unique bird was actually a 19lb. 10inch bearded one legged tom. Yes he had one leg, quite commical to watch come through the woods.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

My first bird wasa hen in the fall. 1st gobbler was a jake. Haven't really raised the bar, I might still shoot a jake, might not. the 1st was the only jake I've got.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

First I think was my biggest... nice tom with a 9.25 inch beard too long ago to remember spurs. weighed around 22-23 lbs. MY 2nd was about the same I think. My standards are if it has a beard it WILL be shot (at). Ive learned that any turkey is a good one. As far as my oddest turkey. Twosprings ago I saw one that was part albino/domestic I dont know which but he was partially white and tan with a STARK black beard. He was absolutely huge and smart never got him. I have shot a bearded hen that was over 5 years old judging by the length of her beard, how wary she was, and how tough she was.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first bird (only gotten 4 since I really got serious about turkey hunting about 6 years ago) was a jake (4" beard). I don't really have a "standard". I would like to get a longbeard, but if a jake presents a good opportunity (later in the season or if I see them several days in a row) I will shoot him). I've had many fun, exciting hunts (many without shooting a bird). My "best" hunt/bird was last spring:

no gobbles (one very far away), set up in a slightly diferent spot but then there were some closer gobbles so I moved tosimilar location as day before, one gobble in the distance and then a bit closer (not really talking to me), then the gobble is right on me and suddenly there are 3 birds dead to my right (3 jakes); got my gun up (I am right handed, so I had to shoot lefty - 1st time for that), last 2 birds backtracked so I got on the lead bird, he gobbled and I shot, my grampa's old Ithaca 16 ga. dropped him in his tracks - double bearded (4" each) and ~15#

Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

My first was my biggest - 22 1/4 lbs with 10 1/2" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. Have shot a couple a little over 20 since, but nothing near my first. I am, however, not that picky. I will take the first mature tom I see. If the season is getting short, I have no problem taking a jake.

Quick Reply: "First" bird.....and current "standards"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.