Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

strikers...

Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default strikers...

i make my own strikers from fire wood. when i am splitting logs i will take a few center piece of heart wood and stash them away till i feel like making strikers. i then split them farther into about 1x1 or so and then use a knife and dremel to shape them. they dont turn out as nice as a lathe..and take longer...but it works.

i came across a piece of wood i cannot ID. i dont think it had bark when i found it..we bring home dang near anything except pine...and one year we ran out and had a guy dump a truck of wood in the yard...

i know its not oak, walnut, or cherry. its was a orangish color..and had a strong smell to it...pleasant smell..not like locust...and it was VERY VERY hard wood...i shaped it and it wont run for nothing...is it possible the wood is too dense??? its not porus at all...its SOLID. but so is cherry and it runs good? i tried it on multiple calls and surfaces and just get a high pitched squeek.

any ideas?? id like it to run...takes me a while to turn one striker out like i do....just figured id ask...maybe someone knows...

if nothing else i will take it down father and put it into a corn cob...that might give it a different vibration...
Old 04-25-2007, 02:54 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: strikers...

possibly Osage?

JW
Old 04-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: strikers...

i believe you are right JW. i never knew those trees with "monkey balls" were osage trees! not sure where the wood came from...im guessing from that truckload being i only found a piece or 2....pics of the wood look very similar to my piece....

anyone know if it works as a striker??? maybe i just messed something up...i dont know...