Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

decoy or not

Old 04-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default decoy or not

well theres 2 big toms out here and 8 jakes. the 2 toms seem to be affraid of the jakes cause they group up on them. so i was wondering if i should put up just a hen decoy or a hen and jake or 2 hens. just lookin for some ideas. i usaully put up a hen and a jake.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: decoy or not

If you got that many jakes and the two mature toms are affraid of them , then I would just put two maybe three hen decoys out.
In general just as in deer hunting with the" buck to doe ratio " , same rule applys to turkeys .
If you got more toms and jakes than you do hens , use a hen decoy and vice versa more hens , use jake and bubba strut decoys or a breeding pair decoy.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried putting a jake on top of a hen, setup. If not that just might piss off a tom enough to come in.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

how would you do that any way. do you have to buy them like that or can you set them up like that some how?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why use any?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can use a jake on top of hen to looklike a breeding pair just by placing the hen close to the ground and the jake on top of the tail end of the hen.
Or you could just spend about $32.00 and get the BuckWing Bobb'n Head breeding pair like the one in the picture below.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your birds are bolting from your decoys....then I'd quit using those decoys.

I have seen plenty of toms run from jake decoys, but they shouldn't bolt from a hen. They might not come in, they might ignore it, and they might just strut and gobble wanting her to come to them.

If you have a single dominent bird in your area, using one jake and a low hen should work like a charm. Just make sure your jake isn't too aggressive looking. Most of them look like boss toms with stubby beards, and I don't think gobblers measure beards when they size up competition.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

thanks guys i think im deffintly goin to try to have the jake on top of the hen setup because id be happy with a jake only goin to be my second bird and who knows maybe the big one will beat them there thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a perfect case where the most authentic looking Hen decoy you can affordwould be THE best joice and make all the difference.

The Widowmaker from Hardcore

or the ultra realistic mounted masterpiece from Call Morris of Hazel Creek

These decoys WILL make a differece!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

If you got that many jakes and the two mature toms are affraid of them , then I would just put two maybe three hen decoys out.
In general just as in deer hunting with the" buck to doe ratio " , same rule applys to turkeys .
If you got more toms and jakes than you do hens , use a hen decoy and vice versa more hens , use jake and bubba strut decoys or a breeding pair decoy.
agreed...the jake decoy may scare the toms off. If you don't get any action on just then hen decoys, then you may try the jake. The gobbler may think, "there's only one, and now I cam going to get my revenge!". I would stick with the hens only for a while and if it isn't working, try mixing it up a little.

Quick Reply: decoy or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.