Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How do you keep turkeys on your property? >

How do you keep turkeys on your property?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you keep turkeys on your property?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you keep turkeys on your property?

I hunt a woods thats decent for turkey hunting, but the problem is, the turkeys always roost in another woods it seems, but never in mine. I can get them to come in to my woods, but thats what makes it hard is getting them FROM anotherproperty.I hear of all these tactics on how to call a bird from the roost, or to "set up this far from a roosted bird". The problem is, i rarely see them roost in my woods. Is there any tips you can give me on how to attract and hold turkeys on my property, maybe so they will roost in these trees? I know this is probably a lot to ask for, but you guys know what your doin. I'd like to TRY and stay away from planting something if i could. Thanks for ANY help you have.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: How do you keep turkeys on your property?

Ok heres my question to you kdsberman. Do you live on the property you own? If you do here is a sure method you can use. You may not want to do this. Im serious here. Go to the sale barn or feed store and get some poults. Raise them but dont release them into the wild. By next year when spring comes around those turkeys will be yelping gobbling, all the usual turkey stuff. They will attract birds and will begin roosting close to your turkeys. That is a sure way to keep at least a few gobblers around. If that doesnt work before next years spring season throw down some corn. Dont have any corn down when its getting close to season cause you dont want to get in any trouble. They will start sticking around
Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Place some Purina Turkey Chow in about three locations on the property and I garantee you they will always come back!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Place some Purina Turkey Chow in about three locations on the property and I garantee you they will always come back!
They also sell all sorts of feeders, tri-pod, hanging, etc. try spending some money on one or two and have them go off in the morning and again at dinner time. You'll see the birds on your property in no time!!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:22 AM

yeah i have just recently bought a bag of beard builder by evolved habitat and i mix it with milo,corn,wild bird seed, and chicken feed and hey about buying the poults...i had the same idea because i am having the same problem as kds....but what if you raised them untill they got old enough and then released them in the wild ?im pretty sure all of them wont survive but i do have a pond and feed on my property....
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

TheKidd....hows that beard builder work? I was thinking of trying some but never got around to it.

I dont live on the property I hunt, haha thats a good idea though.

Who knows, maybe they dont like the trees in my woods..lol. I just wish I could go back and just KNOW they are roosting in there. Only one time did i see a turkey fly down from a tree in my woods.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: the kidd
....but what if you raised them untill they got old enough and then released them in the wild ?

That is illegal, and yes, they probably would not survive. Just feed them year round until it gets close to turkey season. That still may not make them roost on your property though.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya i might start doing that after season is done because its illegal to bait them in Michigan and my season starts Monday.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

birds will come to your property but if they roost in some other place thats the way it goes.they go there because its safe and they feel secure.you can bait and call all you want but they will roost in the same areas usually.

p.s did you ask your neighbor to hunt his land?if so just set up close to where they roost.good luck
Old 04-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I put an arrow or lead into them and they stay on my property. But on a serious note, try habitat improvement. Mowed clover fields encourage hens to nest nearby because it's a good bugging field for her poults. They will hit plowed fields too for worms and bugs. Fertilize your oaks. Just about everything that's good deer management is good turkey management. (they don't like cut-overs too much but they will use them some) Water, shelter, food. To some degree favored roosting trees are out of your control. A nice big tree near water or elevation change are often favorites. I doubt you want to wait to grow a better roost tree. They tend to prefer yellow pines in mid-Virginia and big hardwoods in the mountains.

Quick Reply: How do you keep turkeys on your property?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.