Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HELPPPP

Old 04-16-2007, 07:44 AM

Default HELPPPP

Ok I have gone turkey hunting for a few years now but only with friends I have decide that this year I am going to take one on my own. So I went this morning and had a big tom come out behind about four hens. I go gun happy and pulled the trigger to soon. The bird was about 50 to 60 yards away. The hens went one way and the Tom went the other. What are my chances of this bird coming back into the same area in the morning? What would you all suggest. Beside waiting a little longer for the bird to come in... I know I got trigger happy but it is out of my system now.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELPPPP

Everyone has been a little trigger happy at least once in their lives. Don't worry, he won't leave the area as long as the hens stay around. He may be a little more cautious, but his love for the hens will make him forget that day ever occured. Just try to be a little more patient next time. Give it time, he'll eventually come within range. One question though, do you think you may have hit him?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think he would be back the next morning (I could be wrong). Then again, a love-sick tom will follow the hens where ever they go. I would assume that it will take a little time before the gobbler feels comfortable coming back into that area.

As far as getting trigger happy...it happens! I find myself getting a little excited too. I always try to wait as long as possible and as long as the gobbler is walking my direction, I don't call and I don't shoot. If I can get him within 20 yards, then I will for sure take the shot. If I don't think he is going to get any closer and I know he is within a clean-killing distance, then I will go ahead and shot. Hopefully some of this is helpful.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd give him several days to calm down. Also change your setup. If have to sit in same exact spot, becasue only place then thats what you have to do. But change sitting spots if can. But at very least change setup, by that I mean if used decoys, then don't use them next time or vice versus. Also change up calls don't use the same one he came in too, and be prepared to call to the hens, becasue you spooked them as well. I'm sure they'll be gun shy. You might find your best chance to get him may also be after his hens are gone. Like later in season once nesting or later in day.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:07 PM

No I do not think I hit him at all. He ran off pretty fast. LOL. I don't think I hit him. Or at least I hope not.