Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Another proud papa

Old 04-10-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Another proud papa

Loaded up the minivan Wednesday evening. Seven hundred fifty miles and fourteen hours (including the 2.5 in Cabelas) later, we were greeted to the Spring Break sights everyone expects to see....

Kansas - world famous spring break destination, complete with 3 inches of snow and temps in the teens! Not a problem, though, we weren't here to lay in the sun! It's Turkey Time!!!
My buddy Terry invited us out for the KS Youth Weekend to try to get my son (8) and my buddy's son (9) on their first birds. If things worked out, it also happened to be bow season, so I brought mine along with thoughts of possibly getting my first turkey as well, with an arrow.
Good Friday started at 4am in a snowstorm, but our DoubleBull blinds kept us dry and wa..., well, let's just say dry! The birds we'd put to bed the night before took off the wrong way and had nothing to do with us, despite Terry's calling. When the kids had had enough, we ran to Village Inn and ate waaay too much, then headed back out.
By this time, most of the snow was melting off and we set up in a different location. Soon Terry had one gobbling back at us. He came around from behind us within inches of me. My son let him get about 8 yards out, then let him have it.

The result, a 24 lb tom with 1 1/4 spurs and a 10" beard that qualified for the KS Trophy book! I think I was more excited the he was!!
Saturday, we set up near the previous location and Terry once again did wonders with the turkey calls. Nathan got cold and went to the truck and, wouldn't you know it, a few minutes later in came the turkies. I was able to arrow my first as well.

In a lull in the action, we were able to get Nathan back out and soon he had his as well.

A HUGE thanks to my buddy, Terry, for scouting them and calling them in for us and making Connor and Nathan's first hunting experience so memorable!

Old 04-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Default RE: Another proud papa

Congrats!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great pics.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad to see everyone teaching their children how to hunt , congrats to you all.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story man! Way to go.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow everybody got there birds... And one with a bow... Sounds like you guys have quite theprimespot

You guys will have to get two shoe boxs for all those beards...

Old 04-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Thats just downright awesome. Congrats...
Old 04-11-2007, 04:31 AM

great story good job
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

great birds.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 AM

AWESOME. I can't wait to have my grandson/granddaughter get a shot at their first birds/deer. Congrats to all...

Quick Reply: Another proud papa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.