Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Sight adjustment question >

Sight adjustment question

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sight adjustment question

Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Spike

Default Sight adjustment question

I currently own a gun with adjustable Tru-Glo sights.

My question is if my pattern is 3-4 inches high and 3-4 inches right of aim point what direction do I move my rear sight? I think I know the answer to this but I wanted to hear from you guys/gals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Default RE: Sight adjustment question

You would move the sight the same direction as where your are hitting. In this case move your sight high and to the right.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Correct. Do this. Hold your left hand (use the opposite if you are left eyed) out at arm length. Hold up one finger on that hand. make a small U with the index and thumb of your right hand. Look for the other hand then finger. Watch what happens when you move the back left, then right. Notice how you have to swing the front toward it to get back on the target?

This is an easy gage you can always carry with you to remind you which way to move it. I use it often myself, even though I KNOW it's the same way you want to the impact to go. Then I go and second guess myself.... No need to if you whip out your old trusty gage.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Uhhhh. . .Doesn't sound right to me. Move your rear sight in the direction that you want to move your pattern. In your case it would be down and to the left.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah thats not right. I agree with harryset. You move the rear sight in the direction you need to move the pattern. So in your case, down and to the left.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: harryset

Uhhhh. . .Doesn't sound right to me. Move your rear sight in the direction that you want to move your pattern. In your case it would be down and to the left.
ORIGINAL: jepcho

Yeah thats not right. I agree with harryset. You move the rear sight in the direction you need to move the pattern. So in your case, down and to the left.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 PM

Not trying to start anything here but let me try to explain. The front sight we know is fixed so it is staying put. If we move the rear sight down and to the left then the shooter would have to move the end of the barrel up and to the right more to compensate for the adjustment. This is going to make the shot go even further up and to the right. If you move the rear sight up and to the right the shooter is basically moving the barrel end or front sight down and to the left to align his shooting eye with the rear sight down the rib or barrel to the front bead. This is going to move his pattern down and to the left which is where it needs to go. Think of it as if shooting a bow and lets say your top pin is your 15 yard pin. If you are shooting high, you raise the pin so you would be lowering the bow to compensate for your eye to center your 15 yard pin in the center of the peep. If shooting low then you lower your pin which in turn makes you raise the bow to recenter the pin in the center of the peep, thus moving your impact point up.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Antler Addict

Not trying to start anything here but let me try to explain. The front sight we know is fixed so it is staying put. If we move the rear sight down and to the left then the shooter would have to move the end of the barrel up and to the right more to compensate for the adjustment. This is going to make the shot go even further up and to the right. If you move the rear sight up and to the right the shooter is basically moving the barrel end or front sight down and to the left to align his shooting eye with the rear sight down the rib or barrel to the front bead. This is going to move his pattern down and to the left which is where it needs to go. Think of it as if shooting a bow and lets say your top pin is your 15 yard pin. If you are shooting high, you raise the pin so you would be lowering the bow to compensate for your eye to center your 15 yard pin in the center of the peep. If shooting low then you lower your pin which in turn makes you raise the bow to recenter the pin in the center of the peep, thus moving your impact point up.
Haha. Your all backwards. Sorry I don't mean to get onanyones bad side but this needs to be cleared up.If you move therear sight DOWN now your front sightsitsHIGHER than the back so you have to tip your barrelDOWN in the front to line up your sights making you hitLOWER than the previous shot. Get it? If you move your rear sight to theLEFT then your front sightis now to theRIGHT of your rear sight making you have to swing the barrel to theLEFT to line up your sights making you hit to theLEFT of previous shot.

You are right in the case of a bow because your pin is your frontaim point and your peep sight is the back aim point. So you move the front pointaway from where you want tohit...

Bow compaired toadjustablesights
A bows front point is your pins (movable) and back point is your peep/eye (non-movable).Agunsfront point is you front sight( can be both adjustable or not doesn't really matter, In this case we'll say not)and your back point is the rear sight (adjustable). THEY ARE OPPOSITE ACTING SIGHT TYPES.

Rules-
Two sight points 1.Move rear sight towards where you want to hit.
or
2. Move front sight away from where you want to hit.

Hope this helps clear everything up a bit.

So SpurIA, to answer your question and agree with harryset and jepcho you need to move your rear sight DOWN and to the LEFT.

WCL
Old 04-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jepcho

You are both wrong if your gun is shooting right you move the rear sight to the right.
If you want to waste a lot ofhigh pricedshells go ahead and move it left.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:37 AM

move rear down to bring pattern down

Quick Reply: Sight adjustment question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.