Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

scratchings

Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default scratchings

are scratchings bare spots and leaves are on the outside? i saw this on a logging road going from the roosting area to the feeding area. it had leaves pushed away and you could see the ground where they pushed it away.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scratchings

Yes ... when scouting for turkeys , look in area's where theres alot of oak trees if you happen to see small circles of cleared ground and the leaves are pushed aside , thats where they have been feeding.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

How big a bare spot? You may have found a dusting area.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

I think you will know immediately when you find a current one. You can tell it was done by their claws, like mini rake marks. Also if the ground is soft enough look for at least a partial track, I usually can pick them out but our ground is pretty sandy here so a track shows up real easy. I read that it's easy to be fooled by possums because they do the same but that a possum will only scratch (rake) in one direction where as turkeys scratch in all directions. Maybe some of the experienced folks here can verify that.