Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 My first Bird: WITH PICS!!!!!! >

My first Bird: WITH PICS!!!!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My first Bird: WITH PICS!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first Bird: WITH PICS!!!!!!

I shot a Jake yesterday, on Tennessee opening day! And I'm really happy!

We set up in the blinds at 5:20 CT, on a treeline facing a cornfield, 100 yards was the distance to the opposite treeline.

We see 3 big toms struttin' out of the roost, altogether, and we call them, they call back, but they got spooked by our tom decoy, even though the actual Toms were bigger than the decoy!

And after the Toms hung around for awhile, there was the jake coming behind us following the treeline, and our buddy to the left of us in his blind could see it, and was looking at it through his binoculars, when all of the sudden, this gobbler steps into his view, and he looks, and it's only 26 yards away from him, and he says to us, "There's a Gobbler right here, can you see him? He's only 25 yards away!", but his blind was in the way, and the we decided to let him have the shot, I was going to have the first shot, but we were afraid the Tom would probablymake a B line when he sees the decoy, and so he shot it, and of course it does it's normal routine of flopping and making you think it's alive, when the jake, he (The guy who just shot the Gobbler) said, was coming, "It must think the Gobbler is trying to mount a hen." it kept coming, and I just said "A Jake, heck, I'll take a Jake!", so I get ready to shoot. The Jake shows up into my firing lane,but it's starting to get cocky, since it's probably wanting tospur the gobbler, thinkingthegobbler's trying to mount a hen, cocking it's head up, and down, not giving me enough time to aim, and so our friendhits the slate call, and that makes the Jake stop, and lift his head up, and at 33 yards, I nail him.
This all occured within 2 minutes!

We go out there, and we weigh mine, it weighed 13.5 lbs, 1/4 inch spurs on both sides, and a4 inch beard.

(The turkey in the corner is the one the other guy shot)

My uncle shot a jake later that day near the end of shooting light by stalking it, and this was the first time any of us had all three shot turkeys on the same day.

I had a great time, I wish the rest of you guys luck!

BTW, Thanks Rebel Hog for posting pics!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My first Bird

BTW, we saw 30 birds that day,too.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on your first !!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on your first bird. Sounds like ya had a great time. Got a pic so we can see?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

We actually only took pics with a Kodak camera, and we forgot to take pics with the digital.[:@]

I will eventually get them, but it'll take a month or so at least, unless my uncle is obsessed with getting that pic.

Anyway, I'll post the pictures as soon as I get them.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

cocking it's head up, and down, not giving me enough time to aim
were you using a guillotine?
Congrats on your first bird. Now you are hooked its all over from here on out turkey hunting will rule your world!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

were you using a guillotine?
Are you reffering to the "Gobbler Guillotines", those crossbow things?
Nah, I was just using a shotgun, Winchester Super X 3 inch magnums (The 3 1/2 wouldn't shoot wortha crap), and it was pellet size 6, all at 33 yards.

Actually, it was a 4 inch beard, the feathers had covered up the rest of it.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first bird. Hopefully first of many.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Are you reffering to the "Gobbler Guillotines", those crossbow things?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link, Reb:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat600306&id=0025776490189a&navCount=1&amp ;podId=0025776&parentId=cat600306&masterpa thid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&ri d=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600306& hasJS=true

Quick Reply: My first Bird: WITH PICS!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.