Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bearded Hen?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Bearded Hen?

I got these pictures off of my trail camera and my buddy thinks that the bird in the middle is a bearded hen. He says that it is very rare to see one. I wanted to see what the board thought.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 AM

Default RE: Bearded Hen?

Here is another.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

From my experience as a turkey hunter with more than 17 years under my belt, id say you have a nice bearded hen there. I have shot more than a half dozen bearded hens, not as uncommon as one would think. take her out, you dont want them genes taking over your flock.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, looks like a bearded hen. Wis Bow Huntr is right. I actually heard that 17% of hens have some form of beard. Not sure if the figure is correct, but it isn't as uncommon as one may think.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Banned

Yeah that is definately a bearded hen. I've seen several in my years chasing turkeys.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. Now for a couple more questions.

1) Is it legal to take a bearded hen in the Spring season? (I realize that this may vary from state to state.)

2) WBH mentioned not wanting those genes in your flock. Are bearded hens undesirable and why?

Sorry for all of the questions guys, but I am new to turkey hunting and I am still trying to learn as much as I can.

Almost forgot, is a bearded hen considered a trophy?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see there anything bad with having bearded hens....hell, if they're legal to shoot in your state (I know in Wisconsin they are legal), then is ups your odds for taking a 'bearded turkey' in the spring.

But yep, check your state laws. Some state require you to shoot a male turkey.....other states allow you to shoot any bearded turkey.

I've seen a lot of bearded hens whose beards were longer than a lot of Toms....so yeah, as long as you are proud of it, it is considered a trophy.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a lot of them; but they were the human kind... UGLY!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, a beard is nothing more than a mutated feather. Thats why you will have them on hens and multiples on turkeys too. I've seen actually where there was a beard or two on a turkey that was not where a beard should be. I think it was on the turkeys back and one on the side of it like around the side of the breast instead of the chest.

As said above they are fairly common. People shoot them all the time. As far as if I would shoot one ever. I'd say no maybe unless I was bored with my bow and it was late in my season. If ya do shoot one don't expect to get a whole lot of meat in return. Hens are very little typically and have verylittle breast meat. Not a whole lot to em compaired to a tom. Still fun to see a beardedhen walkin around sometimes though.WCL
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I see two or three every season. I've got a few photos ofdifferent hens I've scoutted over the years. I've read that the myth of them being "bad for the flock" and you need tokill themhas been busted. Studies now show thatthey are no different than hens without beards (other than the beard of course ). The one you posted looks to have a pretty thick beard! All the ones I've ever seen are around 8" long and thin.

Good Luck & Hunt Safe

Quick Reply: Bearded Hen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.