Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Blaze Orange

Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Blaze Orange

For those of you who hint on public land (or maybe even private) do you wear any blaze orange while Turkey hunting?

do Turkey see color in that way to detect orange?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blaze Orange

I dont but when I carry decoys and if I am carrying a bird back I will have a blaze orange flag showing. During our deer gun season I was in full blaze orange and had a flock of turkeys not 10 yards from me (I was on the ground), I just stayed still and they never got spooked or jumpy at all. Im no turkey biologist but I think they see color, otherwise I think it would be a law to wear blaze orange just like it is for deer. Im just glad turkeys can't smell, otherwise you'd never kill one.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 AM

Not me. When it comes to turkey hunting I am an invisible sniper.

Some say to hang an orange flag or something up over where you are hunting but I have never done that either. Although you do have to be careful hunting on public land and accidental shootings do happen every year.

Turkeys do see in color by the way and have very good vision. What you don't want to do is wear anything that might have the color of a turkey on it and be mistaken for one such as red, white, blue and those colors. Also after you harvest a turkey and make your way out of the woods, wrapping blaze orange on it or wearing blaze orange is not a bad idea. That should keep anyone from mistaking you for a turkey walking through the brush or something.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys don't really care so much about color, but they see movement VERY well, and if you wear blaze orange and move, they'll see it better than they would if you movedif you wore camo, since blaze orange doesn't match or blend in at all.

So, IMO, you shouldn't wear hunter orange, but using a flag might actually spook them if they see it flapping in the wind. Just go out therein your camo, and pray........
Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Michigan its required that you wear some orange on the way in and out so that other hunters see you.
Once you get to your spot you can remove it but if your in a ground blind you should have some orange on the blind so you don't get shot at.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Yeah I know some states require the hunter to do that.

You know I am surprised HuntingNet does not have a page specifically for links to every states Deparment of Conservation/Game and Fish web site concerning the rules and regulations for each specific type of hunting season. Maybe they do, and I haven't found it? I became familiar with mine years ago. It's very informative and interactive with maps to hunting areas and now I can even check in my kill online!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't ever worn hunter orange while hunting. It isn't a bad idea though to put out some orange when you kill a bird. You never know what idiot is going to shoot your direction when not knowing what he is shooting at!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

This site does have a link to all states DNR and Fish and Game , just go to the orange tool bar at the top of your page and put your cursor over the word ( resources ) and a little menu will scroll down.
From there you can find DNR listings and then click on your state and you'll see their home page .
Old 03-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't wear blaze orange....if I hunted public land, I might wear a little when transporting decoys or a dead bird. I wouldn't wear full blaze orange when hunting though....if you do, a turkey is a lot more likely to see any movement vs. wearing camo. To each their own though.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in NY, we don't have to wear any blaze orange during the turkey season. I realize that some states, justdue to the large amount of hunters in the spring woods, they require a Blaze orange cap to be worn while actually moving through the woods, but once set-up, you can remove it. Personally, I use a H.S. Strut turkey bag to carry my bird out of the woods rather than just fling it over my shoulder!! Yes, it's Blaze orange, and a much safer way of carrying your bird out of the woods!!

Quick Reply: Blaze Orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.