Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help Please

Old 03-26-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Help Please

Will be turkey hunting for the first time this year and need to know what choke and load to use. I have a Browning Gold Hunter 3" 12 Ga. 26" barrel andwanted to know if there is a special turkey choke I can buy for the gun? What size load do you all recommend - should I buy special turkey loads?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help Please

I would use a full or extra full choke for sure. But for you, it looks like if you have a really tight waterfowl pattern that is around a 4 or 5, Id give it a try!!!

Good Luck!!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 PM

if i was you id check out carlsons choke tubes, they are great especially for the price. id get a turkey chokecapable for use with hevi shot or leadwatever brand you choose, in a xtra full constriction. Try out the new hi density hevi shot loads, they are pretty amazing, in my results anyway.

my combo is a Carlsons ported turkey choke, winchester hi density xtended range 3.5" 5 shot shells. great combo that patterns well on paper, and just recently HAMMERED a bird at 43 yards.

every gun is different tho so my magic combo may not work too hot for your gun.

lead shells are 1/3 the price of hi density and will still kill turkeys, just usuallydont pattern as well the farther therange is, something else to consider.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM

waterfowler1973, I shoot the exact same gun as you and have a Rhino choke tube on it. My best patterns have come with Winchester Supreme 5's or 6's, either one. The Rhino tube is pricy, $90.00, but I didn't want to mess around with trying the lower priced chokes and not be happy with the pattern. Pure Gold also makes and excellent choke tube. Both of these chokes are Hevi-shot compatible if you wanted to try something other than lead. I spent many hours and different loads patterning this gun and my Gold 10 ga and the patterns are awesome. Go to midwestturkeycall.com and you can get info on lots of chokes. Good luck in your decision.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the help guys - I really appreciate it. I guess I will have to choose a choke based on as much information as I can gather, buy several different types of loads, and then pattern each of them to see which works best. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting buddies have experiance with Patternmaster chokes, and they are the best chokes I have ever seen in my life! They work VERY well with Heavyshot. I'm not sure, but I think Winchester makes Heavyshot.

And I would also make sure totry the Heavyshot, or any load for that matter, in 6 shot, since that way you get more pellets, and then you can go further, without sacrificing much power.

So, a Patternmaster TurkeyChoke, and Heavyshot Shot Size No.6
3 1/2Magnum.