Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mossberg 535

Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mossberg 535

I wasn't putting down mossberg, just stating my history with them. I've had problems with my Remingtons also.

My moss 500 was bought simply as a gun that I wanted to play and hunt with, and more importantly, it was cheap and I was young and didn’t have a lot to spend. Once I got serious about hunting, I found that this gun was loud. Lots of the parts in the fore grip shake when you move the gun. It was impossible to carry it quietly, so I got rid of it. I bought another Mossberg to replace it, but this time a slug gun. It shot to the right. About two inches at 25 yards and got really bad further out, so I got rid of it too. I now own an 11-87. I don't like the safety on the Remington as well as the Mossberg. I don't think putting your finger near the trigger to operate it is a good idea, and even more so with gloves on while hunting. I always feel like I have to look at the safety or I'm being unsafe. Further, my gas ring has broken on occasion while cleaning. Open it up and it's broken. Never had it not cycle a round, so I assume that I'm doing it while I'm breaking it down, but I have to keep extras just to be sure.
My son got an 870 youth model 20 ga. from Santa this year. On the rear part of the vent rib, the raised checker flares up on the right side. Once you're used to it, it doesn't seem to make a difference, but it is poor machining/quality.
All I'm saying is, find what you like/want, which may be the Mossberg, and that is fine, but if you find thatyou'd prefer something else, and it costs more than you have to spend, then be creative, wait, save and go get it. That way you won't have to change them later as people like me have done. They say smart people learn from other peoples mistakes, I'm just sharing mine.

Good Luck and enjoy,

KP

Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM

i have hunted with a 835 for the last 12 or 13 years and has been a great gun !!!i bought it when mossberg was the first to come out with the 3 1/2 inch mag!!!about 3 years back i bought a 935 and it has performed great on turkey and deer!!!i honstly could spend the money on a browning gold hunter or benalli but ive become partial to the mossbergs. ive never used the 535 but i bet for the money it will be worth it!!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from patterning my 870SPT... shot two shots. 1 at 45 yards and got 12 hits in the vitals(B/NV)... Then I shot one at 50... Got 8 hits in the vitals(B/NV)...

After shooting my second gobbler last spring at 56 paces... I just had to shoot a turkey target at 50 to see what it was doing
Old 03-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

With luck I will be shooting again tomorrow, this time with the Jelly head choke and 4 different kinds of loads. This is addictive. I know what I have right now with everything right out of the box I could drop one out to 50. My cousin has some 3 1/2" Nitros we are gonna put a couple through as well. He swears by them out to 70 yards. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BullRider115

I do indeed own this gun with the thumbhole stock.... I love it. At 50 yards I put 97 pellets in a 10" circle with 24 in the neck and head. I am shooting the stock choke with Winchester Double X Magnum Loads- 3", 2 oz. # 4's. I am working on posting a pic........
no kidding 3" huh? I like the power of those #4's but I did not get those results with my jellyhead choke. I only had one shell so I went with the jellyhead. My best was the winchester high velocity 3.5" #6, I got 137 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:02 AM

This is not a bad gun,I have the 500, bought the 535 my main isssue is the gun is light weight so when shooting the 3.5 shells the recoil on it is very harsh on you, I sold it, I am a mosberg owner for the 500 is awesome handling and in performance, I also bought the Mossberg Maverick 88 all black,recoil on it is smooth as well, my experience with these is all i am giving here, the prices are not too bad at Academy the 88 is 159, the 500 is around 200 for the field brown and black, my camo 500 was around 250 I think. Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Spike

I bought a 535 for my dad to use turkey hunting this year. It came with full Real Tree camo, fibre optic sights, and a XX choke. I patterned it and found it to be quite good. I even thought about letting my dad use my 870 super mag while I used it. Only problem though, is the recoil pad sucks with magnum loads. I am looking at a Limbsaver for it, as all my rifles and magnum shotguns have been fitted with them. They make a lot of difference. As well, the price of the gun made it a sweet deal. I have always been an 870 man, but I see nothing wrong with this gun, for what it will be used for.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

I used the slip on Limbsaver pad. You have to get the Large Size for the 535.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:27 AM

That is a good buy, The 535 I bought came with all three chokes, the full, mod and improved cylinder, the 500 I shot slugs didn't try with 535. I found out later after I sold it about what ported barrels and the after market recoil pads. I hope he likes it, like I said it is a good gun, the harshness if the 3.5 inch shells were very harsh on me, I am pretty tough (not really weak in that area) from carrying about 50-75 pounds of material at work all day. The 535 is a good concept and a good idea, mossberg were the first to come out with the 3.5 inch chamber, I had it it in my mind that I liked knocked down power but someting that wouldn't knock me down.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I bought the thumbhole stock and I am taking it out today to site it in. I will give you my thoughts after shooting it. The only thing I care about is the pattern. Can it kill a bird at say 40 yards then I will take it!

Quick Reply: mossberg 535

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.