Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What's you're favorite call??  (non-reeds) >

What's you're favorite call?? (non-reeds)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What's you're favorite call?? (non-reeds)

Old 03-18-2007, 01:38 PM

Default What's you're favorite call?? (non-reeds)

What is you're favorite Turkey call? Any of a variety that are NOT mouth calls. I can't use them. A gagger. Wish I could, elk calls too, but just doesn't work.
Im talking designs here, not brands. Box call, slate, glass, push button?
I mean, if you were stranded on an island and could only take one call . . . what would it be.
Maybe you lean towards the "locator" calls like owl, crow or hawk.
Another criteria is what works in "all-weather".

Old 03-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Default RE: What's you're favorite call?? (non-reeds)

Lets see slate can break and same for glass. Button calls mechanical and can break. And if you get these wet sit and wait to dry. Box calls most are very durable, water proof, and easy to use. I have all but the glass I mainly use box and a mouth. I will change up when one does not seem to be bringing them in.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:50 PM

I've tried just about every style of call out there and I always come back to a good slate or glass.

If its real windy I'll pull out a box call or a loud, high pitchedglass.

If its real calm I'll use slate.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I like the slate with multiple strikers, I am not very confident with mouth calls yet.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:40 PM

I found the glass/slate calls relatively easy to pick up, and versatile. In my area however, even a simple push button call with do you fine.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:00 PM

I am the most confident with a boxcall. I also like a glass call but if i could only use one call it would be my boxcall.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Bud&Betty's slate...
Old 03-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

If I could only have 1 call and a mouth call is out of the question then a good slate call would be my next choice.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch
What is you're favorite Turkey call? Any of a variety that are NOT mouth calls. I can't use them. A gagger. Wish I could, elk calls too, but just doesn't work.
Im talking designs here, not brands. Box call, slate, glass, push button?
I mean, if you were stranded on an island and could only take one call . . . what would it be.
Maybe you lean towards the "locator" calls like owl, crow or hawk.
Another criteria is what works in "all-weather".
Lets see here:

Whats my favorite call and why? Mouth calls... for all the reasons you listed.... they are all weather, make a variety of sounds, and its a simple design that is based more upon the HUNTER than the call. Oh but wait that doesn't count....

So whats my favorite call that isn't a mouth call? Crystal...there again, weather proof, high pitched by nature, so its rather loud, but you can always turn it down some. I like Cherry over Cherry under crystal. Simply put, Classic Cherry Crystal by Woodhaven.

If I was stranded on an island and could only take one call.... I'd take a phone call so I could have someone get me off the island....

Locator calls do not lure in turkeys....just make them give up their positions so that we may ID where they are, and set up our scheme accordingly.

One other thing... if you are gagging on a mouth call, then you are placing it too far back in your mouth. I started with mine almost touching my front teeth. You may not be able to make as wide a variety of sounds, but you can get started with it that way. There is no right or wrong way to use a mouth call, just the right way for you and the right way for me. What works for some, might not for others. Just keep at it and don't get too frustrated. I suggest keeping a few in the truck to play on the way to work.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

I have quite a few calls I can get the job done with. My favorite is a Primos slate I got back in 1985. The bad thing is I lost the plexi glass striker. Ive replaced it with another though. I also like my Cody slate and my Quaker boy slate. Basically any call I have will bring in a tom in shooting range. Im not much on the push button calls, and OH yeah I love my mouth calls. Let me ask you this game4lunch. Do you trim your mouth calls so they wont make you gag?

Quick Reply: What's you're favorite call?? (non-reeds)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.