Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Why Join a TurKey Team? Is it worth..... >

Why Join a TurKey Team? Is it worth.....

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why Join a TurKey Team? Is it worth.....

Old 03-15-2007, 05:20 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Why Join a TurKey Team? Is it worth.....

.........your trouble and after all there are no prizes given.....what exactly do you get out of this.

Well take a good look at the Turkey Forum now - lots of guys and gals all pumped up because Spring Turkey will be upon us soon. Each talking on some or any given team...picking team names ....trying to make a team logo in some cases......and for me...meeting new people as I have been signing up now as this is my 4th year I think.

Let me tell you I was paired with a bunch of hunters the first year just like every year, whom I knew nothing about, and they knew nothing about me - Got to talking to a few via posts here - offered internet help where I could, traded tactics and ideas and tipes we have each learnedand long story short - I am actually hunting with dog1 whom I was first paired with my first time here. Dog is giving me a chance to hunt a state I never dreamed I would be able ot hunt. So that is the biggest value I find being on a team and look forward to each year! I have developed many new unseen friendships as each of us have one thing in common! We just love to hunt turkeys and get to chat with others- before we hit the woods.

So that is why I sign up.........

Now be aware..................

One may think doing this team event is really no work at all. Well last year I did help Pat......you have to go through evey post of people who signed up ...make sure that they are not listed twice or more....build a huge list of names.......and then randomly paireach personto try to make each team havethe samenumber of team members so each team has an equal chance!

But wait you are not over yet! You have to decide and post what the rules are, how to administer the rules, and be referee the whole time the contest is running and at times check back here to help. You will recieve a vast number of e-mails and Private Messages.....And then maybe you get to hunt yourself! But just a second! You have to go back check posts and add the scores each contestant has posted to the proper team. Then keep a running total.......So folks do think about that....

So my hat is off to Pat Ely! This is no small chore...and with family and still holding a job and then trying to get out there to hunt yourself.......no easy task........AND it is ALL In Fun!

So thanks Pat - without this event here - I may never had the chance to hunt Georgia....and definitley would not have met my unseen friend to whom I call on the phone at least once a week - and that is Dog1.......we may not get a bird.....but we will finally meet face to face......

And I wish good luck to each and every hunter that signed up this year - just remember one thing! Be safe out there! And have fun!

JW
Old 03-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why Join a TurKey Team? Is it worth.....

I stopped entering turkey contests many years ago, mostly for personal reasons. I try to get the most enjoyment out of each hunt, successful or not. Contests seem to "ratchet up the need" to kill a bird for bragging rights, and safety issues come into mind here. To each his own though.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: maytom

I stopped entering turkey contests many years ago, mostly for personal reasons. I try to get the most enjoyment out of each hunt, successful or not. Contests seem to "ratchet up the need" to kill a bird for bragging rights, and safety issues come into mind here. To each his own though.
I someone is greedy enough to actually put their safety or the safety of others at risk, just for a contest with no prizes, their problems run far deeper than turkey hunting.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all for good-natured fun
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just a little friendly competition... It is the sport of hunting.. not killing. There will be some who take this thing too seriously... but let them and feel sorry for them. Every year I meet great people on this forum through the contests here (turkey, deer, bear, etc.). It's nice to chat w/ people from around the U.S. and see what different areas produce.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Its all about the hunt, if I had the option of shooting a bird on opening morning, or having 4 close calls throughout the season, I would take the latter everytime, and I am sure most of you out there would as well!!!

Tight lines,

Willie
Old 03-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So where do you sign up for these anyway???