Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Camouflage help!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Camouflage help!

So basically I need your guys' opinion on what to wear this spring!

First, do you think 3D Clothing, specifically this "leafy wear" helps or worsens the attempt to conceal yourself?

Anyways, if you guys say the leafy stuff is good the stuff I'm planning on getting is the Mossy Oak Diffusion. It's a leafy Obsession pattern. What do you think? Reviews? Comments?

And of course I'll paint my face where the balaclava doesn't cover, and I have camo gloves.

Or should I just wear my Woodland MARPAT? That's the new Marine Corp digital pattern. Here's some pictures of it:

And as you can see it's authentic, not knock-offs. Straight from Parris Island.

Now before any of you say "Wear the MARPAT because our Marines wear it, it must be good stuff!" Well, I thought the same thing, but the other day I was watching a program on the History Channel and it was all about camouflage and in one part they compared civilian camo to military camo (hunters and troops) and they said that hunters have an advantage in camo because the designers know exactly what to put on the camo pattern specifically according to seasons/enviroment. And that military camo is designed to cover generally a broad range of enviorments and seasons. What do you think about that?

And just to make it clear it will be for New England woodland enviorments during spring season.

*EDIT* Oh and if you guys want to offer another option instead of the two I posted, please let me know.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Default RE: Camouflage help!

Personally, id wear the leafy wear. The 3d style will break up your outline a lot better than the military style camo. That's why i chose Enigma b/c it is versatilen all seasons. They are coming out with a 3d suit if you are interested.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I'm gettin some of that mossy oak new bottomlands before Thursday. I always loved the old bottomlands, so I'm gettin some of that new stuff. None of that leafy stuff for me until it greens up down here in Alabama, even then I'll probably just wear obsession. Until green-up, I'm gonna be on a dark bark tree with my bottomlands on sittin still asI can be.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The company w/your name on it makes a good product too!
Predator.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

I personaly have never tried the leafy wear stuff and never had trouble (because of camo style or pattern) killing turkeys. I've used Realtree in my early yearsand for the past 15 years it's been Mossy Oak. This year I'm trying something new. I saw this camo at the Harrisburg Sportman Show and liked it. It's called Tomaflage by Custom Camo. It looks like it would work just about anywhere!Here's a link to their site.

www.tomaflage.com
Old 03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seriously, I don't think it matters. Just sit still. Motion kills your chances, not your camo pattern. Last season I was wearing plain old mossy oak break-up, and had a hen walk straight to me. She passed at about 5-7 yards and never knew I was there. A few minutes later her boyfriendwould have made a similar mistake, but hewas laid to rest... He was delicious.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

I love it how we talk about camo patterns the same as some ladies talk about dresses!

I wear the 3d leafy for all of my turkey escapades!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't get a turkey this year, it won't be because of your camo pattern.

Focus your effort on learning to call (and doing it well), using dekes properly, and the birds will come.

Any camo pattern is as good as the next - it's your skill as a caller, your ability to find birdsand your ability to adapt to the circumstances that will make the difference between filling your tags or not filling your tags.

As far as the leafy stuff you asked about - it'll be fine.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I would be more concerned that leafy pattern would get hung up and stuck on everything around me.

Why I don't use it.

JW
Old 03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Predator26

Now before any of you say "Wear the MARPAT because our Marines wear it, it must be good stuff!" Well, I thought the same thing, but the other day I was watching a program on the History Channel and it was all about camouflage and in one part they compared civilian camo to military camo (hunters and troops) and they said that hunters have an advantage in camo because the designers know exactly what to put on the camo pattern specifically according to seasons/enviroment. And that military camo is designed to cover generally a broad range of enviorments and seasons. What do you think about that?

And just to make it clear it will be for New England woodland enviorments during spring season.

*EDIT* Oh and if you guys want to offer another option instead of the two I posted, please let me know.

Well personally I think its a lot of bull crap that modern hunter camo's have a big leg up on military camo's. With very few exceptions, almost all of your modern camo patterns look great on lunch boxes, t-shirts and lifejackets, but when you step back away from it more than about 30 yards, it turns dang near black. You might have noticed that Realtree's new pattern (APG) is toting the phrase "Lighten Up", well Bill Jordan gets it, which is why he is Bill Jordan. Now, cammo that doesn't look cool doesn't sell as well, so its all relative (success as a camo company that is). You will still have a hard time convincing me that there is a better, more versital pattern than Natural Gear. I like Hardwoods green where I hunt, and most places I travel, it works well too, but the new APG looks pretty good, as does the Max-1 camo.

When that Marine Digital stuff came out about 5 years ago, a good friend who went to The Citadel with me had a set and wore it out turkey hunting with me in the spring. He was sitting 25 yards from me, and even with my perfect eyesight, I could not see the guy. And it didn't matter where we moved to, he was perfectly hidden in plain sight. I was very impressed with it, so you won't be behind the 8 ball if you decide to go that route.

Now, to completely change my point....

What a human see's and what a turkey see's are two different things. Turkey's can see over twice as many colors as humans can, and most sources quote that their vision is 4 times better than human 20/20.Does New Break Up look too black to a turkey...??? Who knows....only him....we can only guess...however, I submit that if it looks wrong to a human, it will definately look wrong to a turkey.

The number one issue with concealment (regarding visual) concealment with hunters is the human sillouette. Thats why 3d camo works so well. The Obcession is a little bit dark, but where you are in New England it will be dang near perfect. I have a full set of the diffusion stuff myself and wear it from spring to fall. Really great stuff.

Quick Reply: Camouflage help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.