Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Morning or afternoon??

Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Morning or afternoon??

Just wondering if most birds are killed in the morning, or the afternoon. And in the morning, how early do you need to get into the woods? Do you need to be in way before sunrise, or do you wait until first light?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Default RE: orning or afternoon??

Mine have been all over during the day.

I've shot them right after the flew from the roost, I've shot them at noon, and I've shot them on their way back to the roost.

I prefer to be in the woods a good 45 minutes before first light. Some say this is too early and some say its not early enough. Who knows, I haven't had any problems so far.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

In NY your not allowed to hunt past noon, so the turkeys better cooperate in the morning[8D].
Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

You should be setting up your setup in the dark. You should already have a idea where the turkeys are roosting and where they are going when they fly down. If you go when its light out you chance that the turkeys will see you if they don't fly right away they will not fly your direction when they do fly down.
Most turkeys are probably shot in the morning hours because you have a better idea where they are.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

In PA its required that your out of the woods by noon, so every turkey I have ever shot was in the morning. I like to be in the woods 1/2 hour to 45 min before sunrise. That gives me enough time to hear birds gobbling on the roost and get a close set up on them.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Morning or afternoon??

It varies. In previous years, the hunting ended at noon in MN and WI but now it's gone to 5:00pm in WI and sunset in MN. At least I think it's still 5pm in WI. Anyway, I've taken a few birds in the afternoon around 3pm, taken a few that have flown right off the roost to me, a few in the first hours of daylight, and then a few in that 10am to 12pm slot too. Since we only have 5 days to hunt, I like to get out there early at 5am as sometimes they'll start gobbling at 5:15 to 5:30, listen for awhile to determine where I want to go, and make the move. I quit using decoys so moving to the birds is easier.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Here it's from Sunrise to 1:00 PM
Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed most of my birds in the morning, but I love going out around 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon and finding a lonely gobbler. If you can find an afternoon bird, he will usually respond well. Two of my birds I killed last year were after 4:00. The other one was only ten minutes after flydown. If I had my choice though, it would be to roost one the night before and get him the next morning.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

In missouri the season closes at 1 pm. Iv'e here in the past few years have killed most of my birds from 10-12 in the morning. The hens have left and they are looking for love.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Wow..i never knew people couldn't hunt all day. Here in Oklahoma it's sunrise to sunset!! I usally get mine in the morning!

Quick Reply: Morning or afternoon??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.