Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team 3 "Grave Diggers"

Old 04-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team 3 "Grave Diggers"

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while guys been very busy. Sat I took a buddys little bro out and what a hunt it was. He'd never heard a turkey except on tv and let me say when the first hen sounded started in 30 yds behind us and the gobbler about 100yds from us he was def hooked. To make a long story short we had 5 hens infront of us, one with about a 6 in beard which he chose not to shoot b/c he thought for sure a gobbler was going to show, he def showed better restraint then I would have being his first turkey hunt. Well with the hens in front of us hear came a longbeard and a jake from our left and outta no where here comes 2 jakes from our right. Finally when the long beard got about 30 yds I told him to shoot and he laid the smack down. 20# 9.5 in beard and 1'' spurs. We had 10 turkeys w/in 30 yds of us and we had hens less than 5 ft from us this whole time. Guess i should mention we were in a blind which I am convinced is the ticket when u have more than one hunter hunting together. It's unbeleiveable the movement u can get away with.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree about the blind. Last week was the first time I turkey hunted out of mine and it was a blast. I didn't see a tom or jake but I got to practice drawing my bow on a couple of hens. I was amazed at how they just ignored the thing.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm another believer in the blind! I use one quite a bit. Congrats to the young hunter as well.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Greg - still no word on the stickers yet. They were supposedly scheduled to beprinted on 4/20. As soon as I get something, I'll give you a heads up.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:56 AM

Hey boys, I went out this past Saturday and Sunday with my younger cousin to take him hunting during the New York Youth weekend. There was some action on my farm, but I had trouble locating the tom after they hit the ground. I did eventually get a pair of toms to come in to the B-Mobile decoy. One had an 8 inch beard and the other just a bit shorter. We were in my Double Bull blind becuase it was raining and John didnt like the wet. So I set up the the blind, this was prior to seeing the birds. Istarted to purr and the smaller onecame in at a trot. He jumped and spurred my decoy then ran for a few steps beofore John flattened him with is 20 gauge my grampa gave him for his birthday. Well, 5 days to my turn is here so see ya then.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

congrats to your cousin and good job on takin him out! hope he saved some for you tho!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Greg - still no word on the stickers yet.
I pinned Greg's sticker update thread to the top where all could see it without having to bump it up.

I also am a believer of the blind. We use them all the time for clients. Matter of fact I'll let ya know tomorrow just how well it works. So far this year only two hunters have not tagged, but all have had opportunities here in Ne.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remington,
Congrats to your cousin... any pics? Season starts Monday here... Can't wait... seems the birds have disappeared though... hopefully I can find the Monday!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys after work tomorrow I'll be making my last trip of the year. I'm leaving straight from work to go hunt and camp at LBJ National Grasslands. Thats where I shot the jake opening weekend and had a hot bird last week until it started raining. I'm gonna go see if I can find him again! I'll hunt Friday evening when I get there and all day Saturday and Sunday. Pressure at this place usually eases up in the late season. The birds are probably pretty call shy by now so I'll be mostly using a few soft clucks and purrs as well as scratching in the leaves. See ya'll later, be safe and have a good weekend. Hopefully I'll post pics Sunday night.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck. I hope you have a good story for us next week!

Quick Reply: Team 3 "Grave Diggers"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.