Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

scouting Questions?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default scouting Questions?

when should I do it? and if I am hunting on 2100 acres where do I start? are there any places that turkey prefer or places they wont go?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scouting Questions?

If it is a new woods or a woods I really don't know very well I like to slip in right before daylight and just sit down and listen for gobbling or fly down noises, that will get you started on finding roost areas, strut areas, dusting areas, feeding areas, etc. If possible I like to get somewhere that is above the area I am trying to listen to, like the tops of ridges over looking bottoms and long tapering ridges. Once I hear some birds I try to stay in contact with them as long as I can after they fly down but not spooking them so I can figure out where they like to go after they fly down. Leave all your calls at home so you won't be tempted to call to them before the season opens.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Yes start now! Find out where they roost, and alot of the rest will take of itself if you put in the time. It's not rocket science it's just time comsuming.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir...start now, especially on that chunk of land. Like mentioned earlier, get out there a couple mornings. Listen for gobbles, where their roosting, whey the fly down, where they strut, where they feed, etc.

With that size land, you will have to scout quite a bit. Good luck.