Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun

Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Shotgun

New to Turkey Hunting and want to purchase a shotgun. What would you all reccomend? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun

I just use my old Mossberg 500. there are dedicated turkey guns out there.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mossberg 500 for me as well. Its an awesome shooting gun. Shoots just as good as any gun if not better. This gun is not as expensive as the big name brands.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:13 AM

mossberg 500 here as well
Old 03-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

RumBum, you can get as fancy as you want with shotguns, but a Moss 500 or Rem 870 will kill them as dead as a door nail at 30-35ydsassuming they are throwing a good pattern.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

There are so many different shotguns out there right now that all do a good job. It's hard to think that you can't find one for a reasonable price. The big thing you want to decide is will I want semi auto or pump? If it's for all your bird game (duck, goose, turkey, etc...) I would go with a semi. If not and it's just for turkey you could go with a pump. Just get a gun that you feel comfortable with and most of all TRUST to throw that pattern. I just gotmy Stoeger Model 2000 patterned and now I not only feel comfortable with it I know that I'm going to kill any bird that's inside 40 to 45 yard's. And that's what it's all about. Knowing that when the shot comes your going to be picking up a bird and not looking at a handfull of feathers. Go out to bass pro, walmart, uncle tom's, where ever and get a feel for a gun without looking at price. If it gives you the I can really blow it's head off with this one feel then that's the one for you. Once you know what features you want (camo stock, wood stock, synthetic black stock, semi auto, pump, regular stock orhand gun stock, bla bla bla)you can get into prices later. Trust me the fun part is when you already have the gun and your getting it to pattern. You work a ton of different loads through it and then BAM you hit a load that sends 20 pellets in a turkeys head and neck at 40 yards and you say "Ohhhhh YEA!!!!" Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Any good working shotgun with turkey specific loads will kill a bird, I personally prefer my Remington 11-87 Supermag, but I have wanted a turkey specific gun for some time and broke down and got one.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:19 AM

any old shotgun will work but if you want to get fancy then id go with benelli SBE 2. simply the best IMO.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Any are good as long as they throw a tight pattern to Major Tom. Me, I'm a Mossberg 835 fan myself.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

I bought the Mossberg535 Turkey combo a couple weeks ago. Shot it for the first time today and loved it. We shot at the free printable turkey target from Remington and in the 8" circle put 70-80 pellets. From 25 yards there were over 20 in the neck and head and at 40yards there were between 8 and 14. I took the Red Dot scope off and just shot open sights. Can't wait to see what I can do when I put on a crosshair scope and 3 1/2" #6's.

Quick Reply: Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.