Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Lost my Favorite Striker! >

Lost my Favorite Striker!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lost my Favorite Striker!

Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lost my Favorite Striker!

I supposed since last season I have repressed my feeling of loss... It wasn't the fanciest in the world but it sounded the nicest on several of my calls. The ebony striker that came with my Ol' Yeller sounded sweet not only with the Ol' Yeller, but also with my Primos Power Crystal, my Kaiser Kall, my HS Strut Alumiwich, my... Anyway, I LOST IT LAST YEAR! I suppose I'll just have to try and replace it. Since my go-to call has been the power crystel for the last couple of seasons, does anybody have a favorite striker that sounds nice with that call that is commercialy available? Now that I think about it, custom would work too as long as it doesn't break the bank... All suggestions (well, most anyway) are welcome!

Thanks-
Paul
Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lost my Favorite Striker!

I use the knight & hale power striker. It sounds so sweet with ole yeller, the freak, and my H.S. slates. I have the other strikers that came with them but the knight & hale sounds the best to me. Thats what I use.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey RI,
I got some really nice strikers from Bosstom (aka Adrian Hare). Send me an email and I'll mail you one. he shared some extras with me, and I'd be glad to spread the wealth.

On a related niote, I just got plexiglas and carbon strikers from MidWest Turkey Call Supply. The plexi one sounds really sweet on my Finisher (a discontinued call from Q.B.)
Old 03-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

i know the feeling. i lost many of my favorite strikers somehow lol.

i never liked ANY factory striker. never really played with customs..except my own. i make my own. i used to do it purely with a pocket knife. id crack logs down and whittle pieces into strikers. worked well...took time and effort but it worked good. then i got a Dremel tool. i used a sanding drum to get the rough shape of them(saves ALOT of time) and then going at it with a knife to finish it and then sand paper. i get my own shape and feel that i like that you cant get with any other calls. for some reason i like mine a shade thinner than ive ever seen them made. a hair bigger than a #2 pencil or so. thats just my prefrence..but by making my own i get that. and i get to play around with diffrent woods. i really like maple and black walnut. exotic woods i buy dowel rods of them and either fit them to a topper i made from wood, or a corn cob top. isnt hard and gives me somethin to do when im bored. got some nice oak, maple, cherry and black walnut waiting for me at home nice and dry..
Old 03-03-2007, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

RI,Try a Mysticstick by Woodswise on that Power Crystel,You'll even be able to use that call in the rain with it.What amazes me is it sounds exactly the same,wet or dry.Next to my mouth calls that's my favorite .Killed many a birds with that combo.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Oh how I know that feeling of losing a favorite striker. I have a primos slate from the early 80's that had a plexi glass striker. Ive tried to get it replaced but to no avail. I did get a quaker boy that is close to it but have never found a clear plexi glass to replace it. Ive contacted Primos but that striker was discontinued years ago. Heck they didnt even know what striker I was talking about. They kinda gave me the run around. As a matter of fact it made me quit buying their products. They were rude to me...
Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

oh man I lose a couple a season. I have also found the odd one a season later and have had the farmer find one for me. Asked me if I knew what the heck this thing he found was. lol. The carbon ones will always still work nice if this happens.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a hickory striker from Penn's Woods at the IL Deer and Turkey Expo and I really like the way it sounds on my Primos slate. The one that came with the call doesn't sound bad at all, but the hickory sounds real good. Worth a try at least, it was only $8.00.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

I sent you a PM, I can send you a 2 piece purpleheart striker if you pay the shipping...or if you want, I make them....good luck!
Old 03-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks ICALL2MUCH and Joe A, also, everyone else! I was thinking about getting a purpleheart striker too!

Quick Reply: Lost my Favorite Striker!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.