Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Stick and string hunting turkeys >

Stick and string hunting turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stick and string hunting turkeys

Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Stick and string hunting turkeys

Thisspring I am thinking about testing my luck with a bow on a big tom. I bought a blind but Im not sure if I should use it or not. I like to get up close and personal with the turkeys I hunt and Im afraid that thay might here me setting it up. If I do use it, do I need to blend it in with brush and branches or will the blind do fine by itself. My other plan is two just find a tree to get behind so I can draw my bow with out the turkey seing me and wait for it to step out hopefully giveing me a shot.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stick and string hunting turkeys

What type of blind did you buy. Regardless of that, turkeys are pretty oblivious to the blind scenario. I hunt in Iowa and I can set up my blind litterally in a field and the turkeys pay no attention to it. Dont get me wrong though you still have to mind your p's and q's when it comes to movement in the blind. As far as them seeing you... well you might have to set up a little farther away out of there view and then try calling them in or ambushing them. Lastly from my personal experience sitting on the ground turkey hunting with a gun is hard enough, but trying to pull back a bow (unless its a crossbow) would be very hard to do with out them seeing you. Hope this helps you out.
P.S. Im also gonna try to stick a turkey with a bow this year! Good Luck
Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am lucky enough to have a place to set mine and leave it. However, most blinds depending on how close to the turkeys you get should be able to sit up with reasonable silence. The key in my book is to practice over and over as you would with a bow. Practice in light until you could sit the blind up with eyes close, then sit it up in dark like before work or after dark at home and do it until you can do it quiet and without trouble. Then come time to sit it up you should be able to do it with a minimum of noise and trouble and get close enough to get a big one!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:47 PM

what is that a pic of ( that thing hanging on the telephone pole)
Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck to you.
I will also be attempting to take a gobbler in Kansas this spring with the bow. From blinds.
If you do not use a blind good luck as they see everything move!!! Even if you get drawn on one you will have to make some movement to put the pin on him and thats when the gig is up. Most of the time....
Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 PM

They had some "experts" hunting for turkeys on this show and one of them said "they should make hunting blinds illegal when hunting for turkeys, because they are so effective at taking away thier best defense, their sight"
Old 03-01-2007, 08:48 PM

let me guess solocamjosh was that show called the best and worst of tred barta because i think he said that..yesterday i was watchin turkey hunts and he was tryin to get one with his long bow and then he started talkin about making blind illegal..i dont know about that guy he is weird i get it that hes doin it the hard way long bow ext. but he uses a guide on most of his shows although i do like to see him do that spot and stalk thing. i am also goin to try a bow tom im goin to go scout this weekend and go se if i see any birds if i do ill be sure to post video or piks
Old 03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nigol

what is that a pic of ( that thing hanging on the telephone pole)
Looks like a coon that committed suicide to me.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what it is. One of the funniest things Ive ever seen.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, don't hesitate to use your blind. They truly are responsible for allowing me to have THE best turkey hunts of my life over the past few years. We've also been forced to set up pretty tight with the birds from time to time and occasionally have even found a turkey or two roosted directly above the blind. As you know, the key is getting in there waaaaayyyyy early and then sitting there for an hour or so in the dark not making a sound. However, when given a choice, we prefer to be somewhere75 to 150 yards from the roosts. Good luck this Spring.

Quick Reply: Stick and string hunting turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.