Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

4 vs 5 shot size

Old 02-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default 4 vs 5 shot size

Guys, ive been using #4's for years while turkey hunting. Ive seen where alot here use 5's. I was just worried that 5's wouldnt have the knockdown power but is everyone having goodluck with that size shot? Im sure the added shot helps. I know ive missed a few with 4's since the pattern was to wide. I just got a new choke which helped alot, but I still want to get more pellets in the kill zone.

any info from those of you that shoot #5shot feel free to comment
Old 02-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 4 vs 5 shot size

I have never wanted to use anything smaller than #4 shot, but I know a man that shot a fall turkey with a .410.
I guess all it takes is a few BBs in the head and neck.
I personally would never use anything less than a 12 ga w/ #4 shot though.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

I have never wanted to use anything smaller than #4 shot, but I know a man that shot a fall turkey with a .410.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 4 shot is larger then 6(as in larger pellets) which means more nockdown power, but the downside is you have less pellets. I think 5 would be fine. I myself use 6 while my dad uses 4. Its just a personal thing.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think it's a personal thing. It's a physics thing. Larger shot will have better knockdown power but if it comes at the cost of pattern then it's no good. There is a reason why #6 is considered legal in most states. It's because a load of that size with a good pattern WILL kill a turkey. Ask those who shoot 20 guage and use this size shot how it works. Pattern at the desired range is more important. If you can get that desired pattern with a larger shot then all the better.

Now we have various synthetic loads with hi-density and "hevi" shot. There knockdown power is even more effecient than previous turkey loads. As a result you can increase pellet count and/or improve pattern and still whack 'em at the farther ranges even if you use a lower shot size.

Don't worry about the what the number shot ends up being. 4, 5 or 6. Get the right pattern and away you go.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: OntElk

I don't think it's a personal thing. It's a physics thing. Larger shot will have better knockdown power but if it comes at the cost of pattern then it's no good. There is a reason why #6 is considered legal in most states. It's because a load of that size with a good pattern WILL kill a turkey. Ask those who shoot 20 guage and use this size shot how it works. Pattern at the desired range is more important. If you can get that desired pattern with a larger shot then all the better.

Now we have various synthetic loads with hi-density and "hevi" shot. There knockdown power is even more effecient than previous turkey loads. As a result you can increase pellet count and/or improve pattern and still whack 'em at the farther ranges even if you use a lower shot size.

Don't worry about the what the number shot ends up being. 4, 5 or 6. Get the right pattern and away you go.
Amen.Great Job.Also every gun shots different shot them all and go from there
Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Browning B-80 consistantly put 16-18 pellets into the head and neck of a turkey target with the 3 inch Federal Premuim 2oz #5 loading at 40 yards...With #4s it drops to 6-8 pellets...with 6s I have holes in the pattern...So I listened to my gun...And I have rolled 2 turkeys in the past 5 years at an honest 40 yards...I have killed 8-10 with this loading in the past 6 years, but these two hung up at 40...My hunting buddy killed a gobbler on the second day of our season last year at 53 steps with the Winchester Supreme loading, using #5 shot...Number 5s will do the job...

btw...My dad grew up in the Depression his dad had a country store, dad quit school in the 5th grade to hunt and help his dad make moonshine which was sold at the store....Dad killed hundreds of turkeys to sell with a single shot 12 gauge, 2 3/4 chamber and #6 lead shot...
Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Zdeerslayer

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 4 shot is larger then 6(as in larger pellets) which means more nockdown power, but the downside is you have less pellets.
thats what i mean. i would rather have the nockdown power.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Hey crazyfarmer go for the switch. I think you'll be happy with the results. I started using 4 then switched to 6 and I like the 6s.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:26 AM

I love 3 inch 5 shot works great for me. I have 72 Gobbler Kills it must work.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OntElk

Double Ditto!!

Quick Reply: 4 vs 5 shot size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.