Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Advice on ported loads

Old 02-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Advice on ported loads

I'm sorry if this is an obvious queestion, I checked the search function and was not able to understand completely my question.

What type of ammo is best for ported chokes?
What type do you not want to use?

I'm sorry if this is turkey 101, but I could not find the awnser in the search.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Default RE: Advice on ported loads

Just try a bunch of loads. Some claim that the federal with flight control wads do better in unported but I got best patterns with ported choke. Buy loads from federal,win,rem,hevi,kent,and fiocchi
Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's really trial and error. Shoot a bunch of paper targets with different loads and chokes if you can. If not use a standard full choke and know the limitations of your gun. If it only patterns good at 30yds don't shoot anything farther than that. The guys here seem to want to find a load/choke combination that will reach out and touch a turkey as far out as possible,but many birds have been killed at 20yds. For this you don't need anything special. Remember that with a x-full choke that patterns really well at 40+yds your pattern at 15yds may be slightly larger than a slug. You could very well miss your target. So the question is ... How close will you be to that bird when you shoot it?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others as well. Depending on what choke tube you own for your particular gun, a serious day at the patterning board is called for, while trying out various brands of shells from different companies. Nothing is easy, you have to do your own homework!!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

im doing what everyone said above.. for years I just bought shells and didnt bother to pattern them. Ive missed a few birds because of this and not knowing what the gun could do. Im buying 3-5 different types of shells and I have a few chokes here to try. So far, any combo will get the job done out to 15yards LOL.. im interested in getting great pattern around 20-30yards since thats my average shot

its trail and error... Get some paper targets and shells on boring sunday and see what the gun likes
Old 02-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

A tight load at 15yds may not give you much of a pattern making it easy to miss the bird if your sights are off. You still need to pattern the gunto see where the point of impact is. It may actually be easier to kill a bird at 30 yds than at 15. Know what your gun will, do. I'm putting a 1x scope with a red dot on my gun this year.