Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

fan mounts

Old 02-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default fan mounts

I might be getting ahead of myself hear, but IF I get a bird this year how exactly doesa fan mount work? what do I need to do to make one? I have seen the plaques that you can buy and do it yourself, but I want to make sure it is as easy as they make it sound.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: fan mounts

One of the best ways I have found is to cut the tail off and put it on a piece of plywood. Then I spread the fan out and use small nail or tack to keep the fan spread out. I'll cut away the excess meat and apply salt and borax to dry the meat up. Thsi is just what i do and I have about 15 or more in my home. I hope this helps. Good luck
Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

After you take the tail off remove all meat and clean all the fat from between the quills. (2) Then apply some borax or a dry preservative. (3) Spread out tail feathers on a piece of cardboard and pin in the desired place and let dry. (4) Clean beard and let dry then I will apply glue to the end of the beard and also tape the very end, because you won't see part of it. (5) Attach to panel as directions will show. You can also cut spurs off legs and attach to panel. Good Luck
Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used duct tape to hold the fan in place before. It doesnt stick to the feathers bad and when you pull the tape of it doesnt ruin the feathers. Pins and such work good too though. In general its a very easy thing to do.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM

you're probably wondering how to remove the tail? well, you lay the bird on its stomach, and feel around at the base of the tail under the feathers on its back. when you find the joint where the tail feathers and the body connect, just start twisting the whole thing.(you're just trying to tear the joint, so you get the whole tail and joint that connects to the base of the tail) once it is off, then just clean off the feathers and as much meat until you get down and start seeing the yellowish lookin lines. this is where i stop and salt. another trick i use is just to lay the tell with the meat and fat that you can't take off and let the ants do the job.it really works great! i even do that with animals that are hard to flesh! anyways. happy hunting.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cut the tail off and spread it out on cardboard. Then I spread the fan out and put some books on it to hold it in place. Then I spread salt on the fleshy part and just let it dry for a couple weeks. Once it dries I cut off any excess flesh and then put in turkey fan plack then on the wall
Old 02-07-2007, 06:16 PM

I agree with everyone on how to do it so I thought i would give you an example of what i did last year. I bought this fan mount plack from bass pro shops. I think it makes your mount look really good. I believe it was $15, but im sure if your into woodworking you can make one for cheaper.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

i am actually going to mossouri this june for a family reunion. our hotel is about 10 min or so from bass pro and the wife is giving me an allowance.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Here's some food for thought, a cape mount. Skin em along the seam in the feathers that runs along both sides of the neck back over the would be shoulders to the Northend headed South. Then lop off the whole tail. Fleshing is minimal except the tail itself. Do that as explained earlier, cleaning all the fat and glands from between each quil. Rub it down good with "boric acid" not boratic acid. That would not be good, "boric acid" can be purcheased at most any good pharmicy.[/align][/align]" />[/align][/align]
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: hurley0816

i am actually going to mossouri this june for a family reunion. our hotel is about 10 min or so from bass pro and the wife is giving me an allowance.
Have fun spending some cash. I live about 30 minutes from the bass pro in St. Louis, and I go to school in springfield,MO just 2 miles from the Bass Pro there.That is the main reason i have no money right now...lol.Any way good luck this season!

Quick Reply: fan mounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.