Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I hate decoys!!

Old 02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I hate decoys!!

I've finally decided to quit dragging along my turkey decoys this year. I just cant justify the need to use them anymore. I've carried along decoys since i began turkey hunting 13 years ago and have killed many birds with their help. Heck, at one point, I had names for them they worked so well. But over the last four years they have only been a part of one of my kills, and the decoy was lying on the ground upside down then (wind blew it off).

I guess I am more of an aggressive turkey hunter now,lots of run and gun, but it works. And it seems to me that the turkeys have just gotten use to decoys and ignore them now. Either way I dont think I'll miss them. I think I spent to much time trying to set them up anyway.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I hate decoys!!

i do alot of running and gunning also but i still like to keep a couple in my vest just in case. there are opportunities were they help and if all else fails they make a pretty good back rest.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

I started leaving the decoys home years ago after i came to the same conclusion. the room was better utilized with hunting skill than something to make up for it. he can still be killed without a decoy you just have to hunt harder, and be patient and enjoy your hunt.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thats why this year i'm taking a mounted hen decoy this year, the decoys that you buy in the store just don't seem to cut it. You get a smart longbeard and they just won't close the gap.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I consider decoys just another "Tool" to use in the spring woods. They do add illusion to the hunt, and while not 100% effectiveevery time, I rather carry them with me than leave them at home.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always carry decoys, sometimes I use them, sometimes I dont. I've been using the HS Strut seat/stool thing, and I strap the decoys to it when I move. Its easier than stuffing in a pocket. I generally throw some orange over the jakes head in case some yahoo thinks an upside down bird strapped to a stool looks like dinner
Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 AM

Rule of thumb is to use decoys on a field, no decoys in the woods.[/align]I find them to be cumbersome and seldom use them. [/align]I hunt mostly state forest anyway, woodlands.[/align]
Old 02-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually carry one or two with me. I don't always use them, but I have been very successful when I did. I killed a 20 and 21 pounder last year using a decoy. They don't always work, but many times they do, so I will normally have one with me while hunting. I use a feather flex, so it is easy to carry around with me.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

I use one or two but here in southeast missouri it seems only the hens work best. I have found out over the last couple of years that pressured gobblers on public land are intimidated by a gobbler or jake decoy. They hang up and look or run off not wanting to fight.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:41 PM

We've been using a new tactic that has worked amazingly well.

It's basically a turkey pelt, with a plastic head & a fan sticking up. I assume it looks like a dead turkey and that's why the toms go nuts over it.

There is a picture at this address: www.FreePheasantHunt.com/wildintrigue.html

Don't know if they would work well for wooded areas, it's pretty open here in SD. If you can put it somewhere that they will see it, it should work.

Quick Reply: I hate decoys!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.