Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 choosing a diaphragm call >

choosing a diaphragm call

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

choosing a diaphragm call

Old 02-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Default choosing a diaphragm call

I want to buy a diaphragm call, but I have no idea which kind to get. It seems like there are so many different ones to choose from. Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: choosing a diaphragm call

If you have a narrow palate, try the Quaker Boy mini-mags. They fit without a lot of trimming.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 PM

primos sonic dome is a great call and it's easy to use and it came in a mini version to
Old 02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

If you have used calls b4 I would then recomend the cuttin 2.5 by H.S. strut..That is my favorite call especially when it is windy or you really need to reach out and call a long distance, it can also be toned down real well.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone has their favorite and thats cool. You should try any call at first just to get used to it in your mouth. Then try to get sound and then work on getting good sound from that call. After you have done that try a couple different kinds and manufacturers and see what you like best.
Don't be afraid of the ones with fancy cuts as they give the most realistic sounds. Once you get them figured out!!!
Give the River Valley X-rated a try as that is a big seller.
Good luck.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pyclub1

If you have used calls b4 I would then recomend the cuttin 2.5 by H.S. strut..That is my favorite call especially when it is windy or you really need to reach out and call a long distance, it can also be toned down real well.
Agreed....in fact, for some reason here in the town where I live nobody had this call this year. I decided to get a different Primos "model". I sounded great, but not as good as the cuttin hen I had been using. I got on the internet and ordered one...it is well worth paying for shipping to me for this call!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:49 AM

Ok, thanks for your opinions! I'll try one of these mentioned and see if I can figure the thing out
Old 02-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

I also recommend the Hunter Specialties brand of diaphragm calls. I would also recommend the Raspy Old Hen as well as the Cuttin 2.5 call. I have tried several different manufacurers and still prefer the HS calls over the others. I seem to get more control and better sounds out of the latex reed calls than the others made from prophylactic reeds.Be patient if you are just trying for the first time, it takes a lot of practice. Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:46 PM

what is the difference between a single, double or triple reed call? is it just for making mutliple types of sounds? I have never tried a mouth call before, is the cutt'n 2.5 easy to use? or would the primo sonic dome be better for first time user?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM

i have the primo sonic dome and it's great. it;s good for a newbe

Quick Reply: choosing a diaphragm call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.