Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke/Shell advice

Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Choke/Shell advice

Im shooting the Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey. I want to shoot 3 1/2 shells. Right now the gun has the x-factor ported choke. I would rather not change chokes but will if I need to. Just wanted to see if anyone knew some good choke/shell combinations for this shotgun.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke/Shell advice

My 835 likes the Pure Gold Turkey choke with 3.5" Win Supreme Elite#6s. That and the Fed Heavy weight were the only 3.5" high density shells mine would shoot decently. It didn't care for Hevi or Hevi 13 at all, which I thought a little bit odd. Most guns don't shoot 3.5" shellsworth a lick anyway, but I think the 835's overbored barrel is what really sets it apart.

As far as lead goes...mine liked the Winchester's the best...seems that every turkey gun I have ever used prefers Winchesters. I am thinking about going back to using just lead instead of High density stuff...but who knows...I still have a few weeks to play with it.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM

I took my buddy out, and he has that gun, was shooting 3'' kent turkey, great load!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice thing about all three of my Remington Turkey guns is. They all shot great with the factory choke that came with them
Old 02-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Nice thing about all three of my Remington Turkey guns is. They all shot great with the factory choke that came with them
MRL, your very lucky to have a gun pattern well with the factory tubes, sincemost times the factory stuff doesn't pattern worth a hoot.
That's why you see many custom tubes on the market ex: Kick's, comp-n-choke, Briely, Hastings, Rhino, etc. My winchester 1300's factory chokes were a joke, hence the aftermarket route for me.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

All my friends have mossberg turkey guns. 500's and 835's... I've been to the range with everyone of them and they patterned like crap at 40 yards with the factory choke... I don't know what to say... All my Rem's shoot great... I haven't had any expierience with Winchester turkey guns...

I guess I can thank Will Primos and the boys... They all used Remington shotguns in there Truth series. And I watched everyone of them...So if they were good enough for them they were good enough for me