Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 hevi-shot vs. lead vs. copper-plated >

hevi-shot vs. lead vs. copper-plated

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hevi-shot vs. lead vs. copper-plated

Old 01-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default hevi-shot vs. lead vs. copper-plated

Sorry for the dumb question...but what's the difference between hevi-shot, lead, and copper-plated...besides the obveious. I am looking for advantages / diadvantages. In the past, I have just bought a box of shells that had a turkey on the outside and figured those would work. I am now realizing that is not the best thing to do. I prefer to shoot a 3 or a 3 1/2 inch shell and have shot 5 shot in the past while turkey hunting. I am using a Primos Jelly Head choke tube and a Remington 870 12 guage. Here is a link to the Cablea's shotgun shells for turkey...which of these do you guys prefer: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=shotgun+shells+turkey&N =4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&N ty=1&Ntt=shotgun+shells+turkey&noImage=0
Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hevi-shot vs. lead vs. copper-plated

You are using the exact combination I am using ( Rem. 870, jellyhead, 3 1/2 inch 5 shot) I use hevi shot. It's heavier than lead. At close ranges it probably doesn't matter that much, but a longer ranges I would much rather have the hevi shot. I will never go back to lead. That's just my opinion. Copper plated is lead. It's just lead covered with copper. Not much different than just straight lead. You are going to get different opinions on the subject. Just try them all out and see what is best for you. I can promise you though, you can't go wrong using hevi shot. The combo I use has been deadly for me.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your comments...From the readings and reviews I have done, I am leaning towards the Hevi-Shot. I guess it doesn't hurt to just double check with a stupid question!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 AM

$23 vs $8, justifiable for a 20 gu[/align]
Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never a stupid question when it involves turkey hunting. By the way, the Win. Xtd. is a great load as is the hevi 13's. I use the Rem. hevi shot mags., but they no longer make them. I just have a couple of boxes left that I will use. Remington has come out with a new hevi shot load. I believe it's called the wingmaster. I may be wrong on the name. It's supposed to be comparible to the other hevi shot loads. I may buy a box of 5 and check them out.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

i used to use lead shot. till i started seeing patterns of hevishot. i didnt want to extend my range much..just wanted to ensure good solid kills. i switched to a HS undertaker hevishot tube and remingtons highvelocity hevi shot in #6. the pattern is amazing. i cant give all the credit to hevi shot though. the choke now shoots lead and copper plated lead very very well. but hevishot does pattern better. and hits alot harder. the pellets blow right through my wooden pallets i use as a target board. lead and copper plated generally doesnt. since remington quit making their loads i switched to Hevi 13. supposed to be the same thing. i got a 5 box of #5s..see how that patterns in march or april. Enviro metal(makers of hevi13) say its ok to shoot hevishot from any choke tube their are still alot of makers making hevishot tubes. dont know if they are needed or not..but i use one just to cover my butt
Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

I use hevi shot. It's heavier than lead. At close ranges it probably doesn't matter that much, but a longer ranges I would much rather have the hevi shot. I will never go back to lead. That's just my opinion. Copper plated is lead. It's just lead covered with copper. Not much different than just straight lead. You are going to get different opinions on the subject. Just try them all out and see what is best for you. I can promise you though, you can't go wrong using hevi shot.
DITTO!!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Based on the comments thus far...it seems Hevi-shot is the way to go. I have read on the Hevi-Shot that due to it's design, you can move to a smaller shot and still get awesome results. I have been shooting #5 shot from Federal...so should I stick with the #5 shot or should I go down to a #6 shot?
Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both will do the job. I would just stick with 5's, but you may want to shoot both and see which one you like better. I have always shot nothing but 5's. and am extremely pleased with them. Just my opinion. You go with the one that your comfortable with.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Lead -
Dense, penetrates better than steel, soft and easily deforms in tightly constricted chokes leading to flat spots on the shot which fly abnomally causing erratic patterns. The jagged edges also pull feathers, limiting penetration.

Copper Plated Lead -
Lead shot that has been plated with a coating of copper which makes it smoother and harder so it deforms less, in theory leading to better patters.

Hevi-Shot, Hevi-13
http://www.hevishot.com/products_turkey.html
This shot is denser than lead. The density of steel is about 7.8 g/cc. Lead shot runs about 11 g/cc. HEVI-SHOT® is about 12 g/cc.It is an alloy of nickle, tungsten, and iron. Because it is denser a hunter can use smaller pellets to get the same down range energy of larger sizes of lead shot, but the smaller pellets mean much more of them per load. That is why Hevishot #7.5 is gaining popularity among turkey hunters because it provides about the same downrange energy of lead #5 but there is so much more of it per load. This year I plan to use the Nitro "economy" load in my Mossberg 835. This 3.5 inch load contains 2 5/8 oz. of copper-plated lead 4s and 5s plus Hevi-Shot 7.5. I've seen patterns with this stuff that are amazing. This past seasonI shot two birds usingHevi-Shot 3.5inch, 1.75 oz of #6 and it was most excellent.

Addendum: I forgot to add that Hevi-Shot is very expensive. The Nitro loads are about $5.00 - $7.00 per shot, and that doesn't include shipping charges. I bought a 5-pack of the loads I used last year while attending the NWTF meeting in Nashville for $15.00 and that was a great deal.

I justify it like this - one shell to pattern with and I'm left with 4 to fill my 4-bird tag in Tennessee. Hope springs eternal.

Quick Reply: hevi-shot vs. lead vs. copper-plated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.