Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Improve cylinder choke?

Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Improve cylinder choke?

My first year that I draw a turkey tag.I only havea barrel w/im.cylinder for my 12 ga. shotgun. I'm not going to shoot anything over 30 yards. What do you guys think about using this choke for turkey hunting. What size shots should I use #bb, #2, #4, planning on using bismuth. Thanks ahead for any help.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:34 PM

Default RE: Improve cylinder choke?

Beg, Barrow, or Steal a gun with a tighter choke.You won't get much at 30 yards with the Inmpoved cylinder.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Fork Horn

I 2nd, half racks post!!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Fork Horn

First thing you need to do is check your state's regulations. Tennessee doesn't allow turkeys to be hunted with shot larger than #4. Then of course you need to get a pattern on it with whatever size shot you want to use.

I kinda agree with the rest, improved cylinder may be a little weak. I use a standard full and 40 yards is pushing it for me. But I can tell you this, the preacher at our church started turkey hunting 3 years ago and has tagged 6 turkeys with a modified choke without missing one. He said his max range is 30 yards. Needless to say I'm camping at his house this spring.

One other thing.... Why do you want to use bismuth? Usually folks use lead or hevi shot for turkeys.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some states have restrictions on the shot size you can use on turkey... But if some how you can get away with shooting BB shot with an IC choke... You will probably be alright.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pattern your gun...Contrary to some of the advice here, you should avoid heavy shot sizes..Fours are defintely too big for an IC choke, and don't even consider twos or BBs..Your pattern will be much too sparse...

What you need is a smaller shot size to thicken your pattern ..If you could get get heavy loads of 7 1/2 shot, that would be perfect.. I once had a friend load me up some 2 ounce loads of 7 1/2 shot which I used it the IC tube on my Citori..Inside 30 yards it was devastating, and it was hard to MISS with it...Probably you'll have to settle for the heaviest charges of #6 shot you can find.. At 30 yards and under penetration is not going to be an issue..Pattern density is always an issue with a turkey load...
Old 01-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this is too open of a pattern even at 30yds. If the bird isn't alone you may get some collateral damage! I'd pattern the gun on a parer target, at 30yds I'd be surprised if you get more than 6-7 pelletts in a 9" circle.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

well, the Indians and the settlers of this country pretty much wiped out the the turkey population with blunderbusses, and Ill have to check but winchester didnt make the XX magnum copperplated stuff yet.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

like others said...check your laws and regs for shot size. then pattern the gun and see. get some heavy loads. bismuth will work fine..its comparable to hevi shot. but lead or copper plated lead etc will work as well. but pattern it and see. i take it the gun doesnt accept choke tubes..its a choked barrel correct? if not you can pick up chokes fairly cheap if you can screw them in the barrel.

but that IC may work. might not see 30yds. but then again you wont know till you try. get some heavy loads though. my dad turkey hunted with a 2 3/4 inch semi auto with a mod choked barrel for a while and rolled a bunch of birds. i killed a hen with it this fall with a heavy load of 6s. distance...well...i wont post it but i will say it was farther than 30yds. one shot dropped her. i had no idea it was as far as it was. for some reason she looked about half as far as she was..but when i went to retrieve her i was amazed at how far she truely was. but i know the gun and it patterns really well exspecially at longer ranges. so test it and see. get some turkey patterning targets and see what the gun does. then either limit your distance inside your effective range or borrow a gun if possible. try diffrent loads and sizes of shot. could make all the diffrence
Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Wolf651,

At the expense of being called stupid, dumb, etc., you can take turkeys with an improved cylinder. However, I would recommend at least #6 highbrass shot loads.
There's no way to ever know how many ducks, turkeys, wild hogs, quail, dove, and squirrels my father harvested using an old Remington 1148 in 16 ga., with a 26 inchbarrel, using 2 3/4 in. shells. He shot everything thru that old gun, from #8 shot to 00 buck shot for the hogs. He knew what he and that old gun could do.

I would recommend another barrel for your gun or another gun set up for turkey.
dog1

Quick Reply: Improve cylinder choke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.