Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Looking for KS public land >

Looking for KS public land

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Looking for KS public land

Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Spike

Default Looking for KS public land

Me and a couple of buddies are going west in April on a turkey hunting expedition and are looking for some input on any KS public land. We are starting in SD then working our way south. We plan on hunting SD, NE, then into KS before we head home. We have hunted SD and NE before so we don't need any help there. WhatI'm needing some help finding some descent public land to hunt in KS.Figured this would be a good place to ask since some of you have hunted there before.

Forgot to mention, we're looking for somewhere in western kansas where we will be hunting true Rio's.

Thanks in advance.

NC_Bowhunter
Old 01-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for KS public land

ttt
Old 01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

For some reason,your PM's are blocked. PM or email me,and I'll be happy to help you out.........
Old 01-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Spike

Sorry, had PM's turned off for some reason. Just sent ya one. If for some reason it still doesn't work you can email me at : [email protected]

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

If you hunt western Kansas it will have to be Unit #1 in the Northwest part of the state. Unit #4 is resident only. That takes care of most of the Southwest part of the state.

Goatslayer...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Spike

From the looks of the distrubution map on the NWTF site it looks like all of units 1,3, and 4 are Rio's as well as a portion of unit 2. I'd sayaround 2/3 of the state areRio's according to the map.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are very few Pure Rio's and they're mainly in far SW Kansas. A vast majority of turkeysin Kansas are Eastern/Rio Hybrids.Most of thePure Easterns (which aren't many)are next to theMissouri line. But if you'rewanting to enter a turkey in the books then NWTF will allow you to enter a hybrid of the species that it most resembles. If you're looking for Pure Rio's when you're best bet may be to head further south.. like Texas. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Spike

It doesn't really matter to me if it's a pure Rio or not as long as it looks like one.I will be staying in the western half of the state though so hopefully it will.

Does anyone have any experience with hunting any of the WMA's in that area? I've done a lot of research on the internt and have found a lot of info. I'd just like to hear some first hand experiences.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Spike

Any other leads on some WMA's in central KS ???
Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 AM

Really there is no way to determine whether it is a hybrid anyway without dna testing at least according to the wildlife biologist I have spoke with.

Most of the hybrids in Kansas look a lot more like rios.

It would be my opinion that there are true rios but as stated you will never know anyway. The birds from south central to southwestern Kansas are going to be your best bet. Places like Byron Walker just outside of Kingman or Pratt sandhills area. Kansas also has a Walk in turkey hunting program but we are a long way off from seeing the 07 maps. Even the Cheneywildlife areaholds some decent birds.

Here is a rio I took close to the Byron Walker area.

Quick Reply: Looking for KS public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.