Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

with a bow?

Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: with a bow?

I'm gonna give bowhunting gobblers a shot this year also. I've taken plenty with a gun and want to try those new guillotines on 'em. I have never used a blind while gun hunting turkeys, will I absolutely need a blind when bowhunting? If I hunt them in a field a blind will be no problem for me, but in the woods I like to see ALL around me at all times and think a blind would prevent me from watching them like I want to.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, I like to set up my decoys to one side or the other of me, or kind of past where I am set up at so that the birds have to walk past me to get to the decoys. That way the toms are watching the decoys and not me pull back my bow. Most of my shots are between 20 and 30 yards. I do not use a blind. I have used tree stands several times and it works good and gives you a great back shot. I think next to bird hunting with a good dog, turky hunting with a bow is hard to beat. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 PM

hope to get anole long beard out of my new matrix.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 PM

I have hunted most all of my life with arrows only, not ever getting the thrill of the kill... If you will...

RH Hunter from Michigan has the right idea, I started in 1996for turkeys.
Long before portable blinds. I started cutting holes in dome tents & painting them camo in the fall & let them air out all winter.
1st kill was at 4 yards, I'll not soon forget thesound of3 birds spittn' & drumn' that close for over 5 minuets! Shot thru the side of the tent all I could see washis outline thru the nylon.
Since then I have graduated toaDouble Bull Matrix &a T-5 I use both and swear buy them. You can do anything you want in there, period !
Isometimes sit from 4am - 4pm! Eat, sleep, make coffee, video ect...
This year I am hunting Minnesota again, I found a Archery only area 300 acres & no guns! I use motion decoys, sometimes just a feeder. If Idraw a early seasona breeding pair, to much pressure here in WI but we have the birds! 132,000 permits per 6 week season in one zone alone.
If all goes well I will get 3 weeks this year, last year I had 4 but never went the last one. We can buy surplus tags over the counter from under applied for zones for 10 bucks. Minnesota has an archery onlytags for the last 2 full weeks till Memorial Day weekend. Youcan go any ware that issues 50 tags or more perweek. Turkey seasons in WI & MN run for just a few days per week ie. Wednesday-Sunday here in WI & thats it!

You'll love it if you patience, bring a comfy chair&watch w/your ears.
If you have sat in the woods & closed your eyes for 20 minuets or so you'll know what I mean.