Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Looking to start Turkey hunting this spring! >

Looking to start Turkey hunting this spring!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Looking to start Turkey hunting this spring!

Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Spike

Default Looking to start Turkey hunting this spring!

Looking for some tips. I went out once last year and didn't see a thing, but then again, I didn't try all that hard. Ill need a gun. Can I use a 20ga? Can I use the same gun I would use for birds? If I were to buy one type of call, what should it be? I have some time, but Im starting my research! Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 PM

Default RE: Looking to start Turkey hunting this spring!

a 12 Gauge would be a good gun to use
Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

When doing your research don't forget to check this site real good meaning if look at the orange tool bar at the top of this page and put your cursor on the word ( huntingnet ) a little window will scroll down.
In there you'll see the word ( Turkey Hunting ) click on that and it will take you to a diffrent page all about turkey hunting.
They have alot of good articles and information ranging from tatics to calls and everything in between.
Huntingnet.com is a great site to get all the information your looking for no matter what kind of hunting you do and it's just one click away.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is all kinds of research you can do on turkey hunting...probably more than you could do on deer hunting. Once you get started turkey hunting, it becomes very addictive! The first time a gobbler sounds off to one of your calls...it is the coolest feeling in the world...an even better feeling when you shoot one!

I would go with a 12 gauge...this is what most people use to turkey hunt with. As far as calls go, I would get a box call, a slate call, and a mouth call. Mouth calls are pretty difficult to master, but you can do the most with them. Slate calls and box calls are easier to use. When starting with the mouth call, try to learn the basic yelp first and then go from there. You can find example calls on the internet and try to mimic those to get the rythm / sound of different types of calls down. Just google 'example turkey sounds' or something to this effect.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't do it, It'll drive you crazy.................No seriously it's great fun, Ive only gotten a small hen in the fall but last spring was really great. Saw lot of turkeys strutting, gobbling and yes even mating, maybe this year I'll get a gobbler....... if I don't go insane first!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If money is tight. I'd save my money and buy a decent pump 12ga. Like a Rem 870 express... If it's not tight then I'd get me a Rem 870 SPTBut what ever I bought it would be a Remington!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome to this addicting sport!
You have a pm!

Shoot straight!
Willie
Old 12-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could hunt with a 20 ga. It is effective, but not as effective as a 12 ga. If you havea choice, go with a 12 ga. They shoot better groups and farther than 20 ga. If your looking to buy a new gun, I would recommend a Winchester or a Remington.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:37 PM

I think many of the replies missed the mark completely here. Did y'all not see him say "I didn't see any birds"? More important than what gun or call you use is knowing your prey. Assuming the OP does live within the habitat of the turkey; there are 4 things a turkey needs: roost; food; water; and mating ground. Scout for the roost and you should be able to intercept a gobbler on the way to any of the following areas. Knowledge is a far more powerful tool than any shotgun, call, camo or blind when it comes to hunt (any species).

There are many books out of hunting turkey, and turkey biology. Once you know how to find your prey then you can focus on methods of take.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:04 PM

If you want a really cheap call make one of your own!http://www.nwtf.org/tips_adventures/tips.php?id=10012
I made one two days ago and it sounds great! Also a 20 ga. is good but you can't kill a beard to 50 yards but heck isn't that what all turkey hunters want to do? Kill a beard relly close?

Quick Reply: Looking to start Turkey hunting this spring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.