Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
what do i all need for a good hunt? >

what do i all need for a good hunt?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what do i all need for a good hunt?

Old 01-02-2002, 10:40 AM

Default what do i all need for a good hunt?

i am going to start turkey hunting this spring here in iowa and i want to have everything ready in time for the little bit of snow we have to melt. if any of u guys that have hunted for a while and have a good idea what u need to stay ready, jsut give me a little checklist to have so im prepared to go and get my first big tom! thanks guys for all the great help before, keep it up.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do i all need for a good hunt?

Patience, Patience, Patience.
A sense of Humor.

Those are the first 2 that come to mind. Patience because that is one thing that turkey hunting will teach you. Not getting too anxious is the hardest thing to overcome. You'll find the urge to call too much or move to frequently. I say the sense of humor because the turkeys will do things to stump you and out smart you that if you can't laugh, you really shouldn't be hunting them. Soon, You'll understand what I mean.

Seriously, get yourself a good vest with a comfortable seat because you will want to be able to sit still and steady for a long time. You'll need all the pockets for all the calls that you will have in your arsenal. If you haven't started to practice with a call, find one or two calls that you can master and start with them. Add other calls as you master the first one. Practice over and over with your gun to make sure you are confident of how far you can shoot accurately. Find yourself a few videos that not only show the hunt but also teach you about the bird, the sounds they make etc. Denny Gulvas is from Pa and he makes some awesome videos of footage of wild turkeys all filmed in the mountains of central Pa. he gives great tips and advice and throws in a few hunts as well.

Most importantly, be safe and welcome to the great addiction of turkey hunting.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Another item that comes in real handy,is a good pair of binoculars.Get the best pocket size ones you can afford.They come in real handy for hunting in more open country.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with pops - patience is the key - do not expect to down a bird the first year you hunt - on top of that any year you hunt - enjoy the environment that nature gives to you. Each year you will learn something new about the environment of the turkey and how to approach different situations. I was unluncky with my first few attempts but the last five years have been very good to me. The last couple of years have been very rewarding for me in that I enjoy the people that I associate with and the environment that mother nature supplies to me.
Make sure that you have all of the basic hunting equipment that you need. Practice with a call that a baby could stroke. Find a reliable gun that will pattern in the kill zone at 40. Be patient - Turkey hunting went to #1 on my chart - It is a challenge - It's a game you play - enjoy the friendship and the woods - learn something everyday - if you do these things you will become successful -
Old 01-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Edward Owens makes a good point about lay of the land. When you do here a bird gobbling, you want to get setup so that there are not obsticles between you and the bird that he won't cross. Deep Valleys, Fences, streams, etc. Try to get on the same level or slightly uphill from him if you can.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]