Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Remove Ticks Easily

Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default Remove Ticks Easily

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds(15-20),the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when youlift it away.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:35 AM
emo

Default RE: Remove Ticks Easily

This is one i've never tried. Can't wait to go out to the club and try it out. www.lazyshuntclub.org
Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 PM

ryanaller, It definitely works well but I have been told by doctors and the nys dept of health not to use this method. reason being is the tick may go into shock due to the fact that it can't breath. And when it gets stressed it will regurgitate into your blood stream. The ticks that carry lime disease and other diseases carry the virus in there stomach and that is how it is passed on to you.They recommend using tweezers and pull it out with one motion and clean the affected area with alcohol.Just to let you know... beware!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

I tried it last week on my son, & it didn't work.Thetickdidn't back out even a little bit after several minutes. However, he sure was clean tick!

I did end up using the tweezers, & I was able to get all of it. I savedthe tickin a Ziploc bag so we could take it to the Dr. should my son develop any problems. Fortunately, he's just fine. And now he's got a bitchin' woods story to tell all of his friends!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

I'll ditto callemin's caution not to use techniques that will cause the tick to re-gurgitate - heat, soap, chemicals, etc - I have read that warning many times. One trick I use at home is to have a piece ofscotch tape handy when I pull a tick off (fingernails work for me) - it's pretty easy to transfer the tick to the tape. I then fold the tape over on itselfto immobilize the tick for the rest of its wretched life...
-fsh
Old 08-04-2006, 09:10 AM

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp
Old 08-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fshafly2

One trick I use at home is to have a piece ofscotch tape handy when I pull a tick off (fingernails work for me) - it's pretty easy to transfer the tick to the tape. I then fold the tape over on itselfto immobilize the tick for the rest of its wretched life...
-fsh
Hey, I do that too... I hope they live a long time locked in that piece of tape unable to move. I hate the littel blood suckers. I had lyme and it sucks.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good reply RayC...
I use tweezers also and than alcohol the heck out of the bite.After hunting the brush country of Texas a few years back I now treat all my cloths with Permanone plus spray my skin with Repel!It has completely kept me from being in this nasty situation!!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Tikcs quest! Questing is a tick that crawls up on a blade of grass and then extends their front legs up in the air. Their sensory organ (nose-like) is at the end of each fore leg.

Now knowing that in tick infested areas - a good pair of knee rubber boots will also help keep ticks off as they have a hard time crawling on this type of surface.

Another thing not mentioned is the use of light colored clothing while int he field to make ticks that much easier to spot on you.

With potential tick infested clothing there areseveral ways you can treat them.
1. Insert in a closthes dryer for 10 minutes at the hottest air dry setting
2. Insert in a pastic bag and spray any type of House & Garden Aerosol product inthe bag and seal for a few hours.
3. Or use Permanone as described above.

It is a good idea for any tick you find attached to place on a piece of scotch tape but tape this to a file card and save. On the card write that date bit, the area of your body you found it, the area you think you got the tick from.

Not all ticks carry Lymes disease but it has been proven it is just not the Deer tick. Others can and do.

For your dogs.

if you don't like the idea of applying insecticide to yor dog's coat that makes their skin systemic, - use a simple pyrethrum alcohol spray after every romp in the field.
I also use a flea comb at the end of the day and that will help find and remove any tick caught in the coat of the dog.

JW
Old 08-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always just use a pair of tweezers and a lighter. Just use the lighter to heat/sterilize the tweezers, and while the tongs are still good and hot, just grab hold of the tick's rump. The heat eventually gets to 'em and theyjust back right out.

Then, you can proceed to re-fire the lighter and cook him alive in the tongs of the tweezers. It's quite fun really.

Quick Reply: Remove Ticks Easily

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.