Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NY birds shut down...

Old 05-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY birds shut down...

Is it me or have the birds in NY gone silent. I hunt in Steuben County and have not been hearing any birds the last week or so. I shot bird #1 on May 11th and since then haven't had much activity...

Anyone else hearing anything????
Old 05-24-2006, 06:15 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY birds shut down...

have not heard a gobble in 2 weeks and I go every day
Old 05-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Didnt hear a gobble yesterday for the first time all season, saw 10 jakes though.

Went this am, tried workin one who was shock gobbling to crows and twice on his own, he didn't want to play! should be excellent from here on out!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 AM

MDManiac,

Where are you hunting? I'm going to be up this weekend and trying to see what public grounds are in your area. Let me know and possibly we could get together for a hunt. Two hunters are better than one! Take care and GOD bless!

David Ellis
Old 05-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your not the only one not hearing any gobbling action. I did call in two jakes to my hen decoy yesterday morning, but they walk in my book.
Still have a few days left to finish out the season here in NY. Hoping that I can stir up a lonely gobbler soon enough!!!
[:-]
Old 05-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im with you guys, a week left in the season and the birds are silent, havnt heard a gobble since saturday but it was only a shock gobble, mabey the birds will get lonly here in a few days with the hens hedding to their nests, we'll see!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:48 AM

It is getting late in the season, and the breeding is beginning to slow down. That said gobbling has been sporatic at best here. The other morning I went out and heard three different gobblers, all on the roost. Once the roost was over, I only heard one bird, and that was in the distance. They wont respond to crow, gobbling, or cutting, which makes me think they are still henned up, even though it is late in the season.

Who know what will happen from here. I graduate from college this weekend, so Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday arent going to be hunting days, so I really only have four chances left to connect.

One day might be hot, and the next not. I have a friend in NJ who heard a gobble for the first time yesterday. He hunts in a great area, and they were just tight lipped until yesterday morning, when he said he heard 20 different birds. He missed a real slammer at 26yds, and told me he had to give it his all to keep his muzzleloader from being wrapped around a tree.
Anyway, I think the point is get out there every morning and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Deeg, Im hunting in Northern Madison County and Northern Oneida County. There's a ton of public land as i am located on the southern edge of Tug Hill Plateau. This weekend, however, I will be camping so I wont be out untill monday at best. (hoping to hunt monday-wednesday next week). Good luck and if you want some access to public ground in Central NY, let me know..

MDM
Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 PM

Is NY DNR closing some of the public grounds due to the crowdness of people for holiday? I know they are closing Allegany State forest for the weekend, but wanted to know if they are closing any other public grounds throughout the state.

MDManiac,

Thank you for the help and hope you have a great camping trip. I'm just hoping that I see a turkey during this trip. Whether it's in the woods or driving down the road. Good luck next week and if I'm up in your direction I'll give you a shout to see where all the hot spots are. GOD bless!

David Ellis
Old 05-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

deeg,

General rule of thumb for NY:

State Parks: Open for hunting by permit only, often closed for Sunday hunting (let the tree huggers in for one day a weekend), and often closed from Memorial Day thru Labor Day weekend. Contain family recreational facilities (fishing/swimming/beach) and often have some type of camping option/s available.

State Forests: Run and operated by the DEC for lumber. Open year round for hunting (usually), often open to motorized recreation vehicles (registered of course), and often great recreational areas. Most state forests are not intended as campgrounds...

Allegany is a State Park. Here is a link to the state/federal lands managed in NY:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ds/regmap.html

Check out County 9...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.