Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what to look for?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default what to look for?

Hi,

I just got back from my second turkey hunt, my first alone. I went to a piece of property I have never been to. I heard no gobbles in the morning.
What type of terrain and vegetation do you look for when choosing a place to set up?
This spot had six adjoining fields with hedgerows in between and real thick edges of the woods. I was not using a blind.
Will turkeys travel through thick vegetaion or do they prefer open hardwoods?
Maybe someone can recommend a book?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 08:06 PM

Default RE: what to look for?

There's nothing like experience to teach you where to go. Naturally, turkey like to travel certain routes and in my neck of the woods that usually includes alot of woodlines along fields. Turkeys do seem to hit the woods later in the day here. Keep going out! You WILL eventually here one and be able to check out the spot you heard him. REMEMBER anyone can call, but it helps to be where that turkey wants togo and be calling. I learned from experience that inmy onespot the turkeys like a wooded ridge about 100 yards above a giant field. Now, I call birds in there every year, but I didn't know this until my fourth time hunting the spot and found out the birds were always gobbling in the same spot. I also have had great success calling near turkey scratchings. Find them and you have a spot. Your spot sounds great, you just need to narrow it down a bit. I'd find a spot where you can see a ways with good cover and call. Trial and Error, Trial and Error!! Good Luck!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 PM
neb
Typical Buck

That is some great advise. I find that very true because I can set up in a area I hunt and the birds will not come to this one spot. It is a good spot and easy to get in and out but they will not come in. I go to another spot and the birds come in to it. The only problem is that the good spot is a long walk and Ihave spooked birds going in but it all comes down to location location. Good point
Old 05-15-2006, 09:09 PM

I concur, I killed both of my birds this year at the same location. I would venture to say that more would come to that same spot. You can also read a lot of good advice right here on this forum. Keep looking and listening.