Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Broadheads?

Old 05-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadheads?

I think this question has been asked before but I wasnt able to find the post... Which is better for turkeys fixed or expandible broadheads? I am going out tomorrow and have access to both and I shoot each one the same. Just wanted to know the pros and cons of each. Thx Zdeerslayer
Old 05-13-2006, 09:45 AM

Default RE: Broadheads?

I just got the NAP Gobbler Getters, they look pretty nasty.
Now that I have a bird on the ground with a shotgun, I am going to try and nail one with my bow.
These broadheads look really good, and they are expandable and seem like they will pack a punch.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use Muzzey's (Bad to the Bone) fixed broadheads 100 grain.
They work really good I took the head right off a bird at 15 yards a few years ago.
I think the expandible's would open up too soon if your shooting thru mesh.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:29 AM

IMO, you want a big mechanical. Burn up the KE and as you know, the heart and lung area of a turkey is pretty small. The larger diameter the better. Personally, I use Rocket Hammerheads.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

IMO, you want a big mechanical. Burn up the KE and as you know, the heart and lung area of a turkey is pretty small. The larger diameter the better. Personally, I use Rocket Hammerheads.
Ditto!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also think that turkeys and mechanical broadheads were meant for one another. I use the WASP jak-hammerSST with the 1 3/4" open cut dia.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Campo

I just got the NAP Gobbler Getters, they look pretty nasty.
Now that I have a bird on the ground with a shotgun, I am going to try and nail one with my bow.
These broadheads look really good, and they are expandable and seem like they will pack a punch.
They are my favorite head for turkeys!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

I use the rocket sidewinder 100 gra and 1 1/2" cut
I place a 5 gra washer behind the broadhead to act as a stop for the blades that way the blades don't lay as flat.

This year at 18yd shooting 62 lbs 435gra arrow @ 260 fps Arrow went up to the lettering bird went 8yds. Great set up for TURKEYS ONLY.

Just to let you know I do use fixed blades for all other archery hunting. But for turkeys you can't go wrong with a good mechanical broadhead.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:40 AM

I think mechanicals are the worst thing ever invented, so I say go with the old Muzzy. My first turkey hunt this yearI filled my tag with a 125 3 blade Muzzy. I got about16in or penitration out of my 60lb long bow, so with a comp you will blow abird up with a Muzzy.

Go get um, wish I was still out there.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

so with a comp you will blow abird up with a Muzzy.
Geez Guss, why "blow up" the bird!! Why not just kill it with a good mech. broadhead that has 1.5" cut, or even 2" cut!! I suppose if the muzzy's really can "blow up" the bird, they probably will work better than any mech. broadhead ever will, BUT what about that tasty meat you'd be loosing

Quick Reply: Broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.