Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mouth calls

Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default mouth calls

i finally found a mouthcall i can use and got pretty dang decint i think....and the turkeys respond to it...i learned to fly down cackle like i never could before..can yelp.cluck...cutt...im starting to like using mouthcalls too....the call i am using and like is a quakerboy half back i think its called...its got half the latex....it made it easier to use i think...i got a few others that are small shop custom calls basically...and i still cant get one to sound good..its a 3reed with a V cut...seems like the reeds are too tight and makes a really high scream...maybe needs broken in?? but my question is....my half back reeds became REALLY loose..i can still make a half decint sound but not like it used to....whyd they loosen up?? i played with the call a little before the season....and during the season i only used it 2 days...all in all it wasnt used ALL too much...stored it in my trucks consel when it was cold..the concel stays pretty cold too...now they are inside..my room is in the basement and not warm....any way to tighten them back up?? im guessing not lol..figured id ask...but how do i keep them from doing that in the future?? maybe leaving it in my mouth for a couple hours did that?? anyone want to recomend some good mouthcalls like the halfback that i should beable to use??? how do you purr on a mouthcall? thats about the only sound im missing...thanx guys.....any tips...calls suggestion etc are welcome...although i love running a box and my homeade slates i think mouthcalls sound good too now that i can use them....and like not having to bend to the side and pick up the call...then have to move to use it.....
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: mouth calls

I would say its wore out. It could be a defective call as well. That happens sometimes. I use quaker boys and have had excellent success with them. Try a pro triple or a raspy hen. This year I used the raspy hen and killed 3 toms.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:39 PM

if your just startying out use a single reed to staet out with. quaker boys old boss hen has proably killed more then any other. it is a real good call and easyer to get to sound rite!!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys..after typing that i figured its about garbage...went to get a new one....everyone is dang near sold out of turkey gear...and its not even on sale yet!!! stores are getting lame with hunting gear.....even WALMART.....ill be going to cabelas or gander mountain sometime soon.....they should have what i need